Frustrated with Google

sirathol

Jan 23, 2024
I am using a pc running Windows 10, I am not very good at the tech stuff and am having a problem with Google and Chrome. I have tried every method I canfind on the net to stop Google and Chrome from using auto suggestions on the search bar. I have gone through all the procedures I can find, followed them to the letter, deleted all search history and done everything I can, biut still, there they are, all the auto suggestions. Please tell me, in simple terms if you can, how do I stop these annoying auto suggestions.

I am using a pc running Windows 10, I am not very good at the tech stuff and am having a problem with Google and Chrome. I have tried every method I canfind on the net to stop Google and Chrome from using auto suggestions on the search bar. I have gone through all the procedures I can find, followed them to the letter, deleted all search history and done everything I can, biut still, there they are, all the auto suggestions. Please tell me, in simple terms if you can, how do I stop these annoying auto suggestions.
I understand your frustration. To disable the auto suggestions in Google Chrome, you can follow these simple steps:

1. Open Google Chrome on your PC.
2. Click on the three vertical dots at the top-right corner of the browser window to open the Chrome menu.
3. From the menu, click on "Settings". This will open the Chrome settings page.
4. Scroll down and click on "Advanced" to expand the advanced settings options.
5. Under the "Privacy and security" section, click on "Clear browsing data".
6. In the Clear browsing data panel, make sure that the "Browsing history" checkbox is selected.
7. Uncheck all the other checkboxes if you don't want to delete any additional browsing data.
8. Click on the "Clear data" button to delete your browsing history, including any auto suggestions.

Once you have cleared your browsing history, Chrome should no longer show the auto suggestions in the search bar. Give it a try and let me know if you still encounter any issues.

Thank you, I just tried that, got as far as opening the settings page, but there is no "Advanced" to scroll down to.

Thank you, I just tried that, got as far as opening the settings page, but there is no "Advanced" to scroll down to.
I have just run through that again, there is no £"Advanced " button but "Privay and security is there" so I cliked that and followed your instructions...I had actually done exactly taht several times before, but auto suggestions are still coming up.

Hey @sirathol, welcome to CF.

To clear the history in Chrome, the easiest way is to use the keyboard shortcut Ctrl + Shift + Del.
Make sure you tick all the boxes and change the time frame to 'All time'

Clearing the history is only half the battle.

To stop Chrome presenting suggestions when you start typing in the address bar you need to turn it off - it's a pretty hidden option and not in an obvious place - it's taken me a good 10 minutes to find where this is for you.

Try copying and pasting this into your address bar to take you to the right page straight away:
chrome://settings/syncSetup

If that doesn't work, follow this:
1) 3 dots in top right corner
2) Settings
3) 'You and Google'
4) Sync and Google Services
5) Under Other Google services, turn OFF the last 2 options (Improve search suggestions and Show Google Drive Suggestions)
6) Finally, restart Chrome and it should hopefully now be behaving as you desire.

Hey @sirathol, welcome to CF.

To clear the history in Chrome, the easiest way is to use the keyboard shortcut Ctrl + Shift + Del.
Make sure you tick all the boxes and change the time frame to 'All time'

Clearing the history is only half the battle.

To stop Chrome presenting suggestions when you start typing in the address bar you need to turn it off - it's a pretty hidden option and not in an obvious place - it's taken me a good 10 minutes to find where this is for you.

Try copying and pasting this into your address bar to take you to the right page straight away:
chrome://settings/syncSetup

If that doesn't work, follow this:
1) 3 dots in top right corner
2) Settings
3) 'You and Google'
4) Sync and Google Services
5) Under Other Google services, turn OFF the last 2 options (Improve search suggestions and Show Google Drive Suggestions)
6) Finally, restart Chrome and it should hopefully now be behaving as you desire.
Thank you, that is much appreciated.

Back