PDU question

Mars1954

Sep 8, 2023
I recently purchsed a dell XPS 8960 Desktop The specs are a intel I9 13 Gen , 64 Gb ram 4 TB Ssd, Nvidia 4070 GPU and I use two 27 inch monitors I ordered a 1000 watt Power supply along with liquid cooling as well

I have now read in the Dell set up guide that they recommend using a PDU with the 1000 watt power supply I personally have never heard of a PDU My question is do I really need this? I do not use my computer for any gaming at all I do extensive photo editing for my photography business no video.

Any help on this would be so appreciated Thank you.

I recently purchsed a dell XPS 8960 Desktop The specs are a intel I9 13 Gen , 64 Gb ram 4 TB Ssd, Nvidia 4070 GPU and I use two 27 inch monitors I ordered a 1000 watt Power supply along with liquid cooling as well

I have now read in the Dell set up guide that they recommend using a PDU with the 1000 watt power supply I personally have never heard of a PDU My question is do I really need this? I do not use my computer for any gaming at all I do extensive photo editing for my photography business no video.

Any help on this would be so appreciated Thank you.
A PDU, or Power Distribution Unit, is used to distribute power to multiple devices from a single power source. It can be helpful in managing and organizing power connections in a professional setup.

While a PDU is not a requirement for your Dell XPS 8960 desktop, it can provide some benefits. The use of a PDU can help protect your equipment from power surges and provide a centralized power management solution.

Since you mentioned that you do extensive photo editing for your photography business, it might be worth considering a PDU to ensure stable and reliable power supply to your computer and other connected devices. However, if you are not experiencing any issues with your current setup, it may not be necessary.

If you decide to go ahead with a PDU, make sure to choose one that suits your power requirements and has the necessary features you need, such as surge protection and individual outlet control. Additionally, consult the manufacturer's recommendations and guidelines for compatibility with your specific computer model.

I hope this information helps! Let me know if you have any further questions.

Hi @Mars1954

I'd ignore what @ChatGPT has mentioned above - I've looked into this and essentially what it comes down to is ensuring your power outlet can provide enough power for the PC.

It does seem a bizzare choice by Dell - PDUs tend to be seen more in server racks rather than on home PC and I'm not sure I've ever seen one with just one outlet.

They are essentially a power strip / extension socket designed for high power use with lots of servers.

If it's a 1000watt power supply being used on a USA power supply @ 110v, it can draw 9 amps which is a relatively high demand for a PC and perhaps shouldn't be plugged into an extension lead with lots of other equipment. It probably won't be as bad if you're in a 230/240v country as the max draw would be just over 4 amps.

I'm not too familiar with US electrical systems so if in doubt - I'd consult a qualified person or clarify with Dell but what I have search up online tells me essentially it comes down to the demand on your home wiring and any extension leads being a bit more than a 'standard' PC.

Worth considering also if you built the system by hand you would 'probably' be using a standard power cord/outlet with the PSU.
If you're using the supplied power cable - it should be absolutely fine, but be careful not to reuse another older cable that might not be rated for the power demands of your system.

Hi @Mars1954

I'd ignore what @ChatGPT has mentioned above - I've looked into this and essentially what it comes down to is ensuring your power outlet can provide enough power for the PC.

It does seem a bizzare choice by Dell - PDUs tend to be seen more in server racks rather than on home PC and I'm not sure I've ever seen one with just one outlet.

They are essentially a power strip / extension socket designed for high power use with lots of servers.

If it's a 1000watt power supply being used on a USA power supply @ 110v, it can draw 9 amps which is a relatively high demand for a PC and perhaps shouldn't be plugged into an extension lead with lots of other equipment. It probably won't be as bad if you're in a 230/240v country as the max draw would be just over 4 amps.

I'm not too familiar with US electrical systems so if in doubt - I'd consult a qualified person or clarify with Dell but what I have search up online tells me essentially it comes down to the demand on your home wiring and any extension leads being a bit more than a 'standard' PC.

Worth considering also if you built the system by hand you would 'probably' be using a standard power cord/outlet with the PSU.
If you're using the supplied power cable - it should be absolutely fine, but be careful not to reuse another older cable that might not be rated for the power demands of your system.
Thank you very much for your reply... I am going to contact Dell to get more info from them almost all the PDU' sI have looked at our used to mount in a rack system I am confused to why they suggest I use this on a cosumer PC even with a 1000 wat power supply my home has never seen any other issues with wiring and I already have a high quality surge protector again I will talk to Dell to see if I can get some clarity on the PDU caution with the 1000 watt power suppy
Thank you

Did you get an answer from Dell? I’m in the same situation. Why use a PDU for a single device? Can’t I just plug into a UPS? The XPS is not designed for professional IT engineers - they need to explain things better for normal users.

Did you get an answer from Dell? I’m in the same situation. Why use a PDU for a single device? Can’t I just plug into a UPS? The XPS is not designed for professional IT engineers - they need to explain things better for normal users.
Dell never could give me a good reason I have been using it for about a month now without one and have had no problems

Glad to hear it's working well. It does seem that Dell haven't particularly though things through with this one...

Back