Advice

Jethro_Good

May 19, 2021
Need advice. Im trying to decide between laptops…
  1. 11th gen i5, up to 4.2GHz, 4 cores, 8 GB RAM , Geforce mx350 2 GB GDDR5 and 1 TB hdd (at my max budget)
  2. 11 th gen i3,up to 4.1 GHz, 2 cores, 16 GB RAM, 512 GB ssd (within budget)
  3. AMD Ryzen 5 3500u, Up to 3.7GHz, 4 cores, 12 GB RAM, 512 GB ssd (within budget)
  4. 11th gen i5, up to 4.2GHz, 4 cores, 8 GB RAM , 1 TB hdd.(Within budget)
My thinking is that i go for the i5 with 8 GB RAM and then i can always add RAM and SSD later on?

Hello,

Welcome to Computer Forums 👋

If it was up to me I’d possibly be going for laptop #3 but certainly if you’re trying to save upfront cost you could go for #4.

If you’re looking to do any sort of gaming you would benefit from the on board video of #1, even if it’s not a massively performant card it will beat any sort of on board graphics.

I would note that any laptop that’s booting from a mechanical hard disk drive will feel a lot slower than one with a SSD. If any of them have an NVME SSD drive, the performance of these is normally absolutely stellar and would be worth going for in general.

Some are a bit easier to upgrade than others - if you have to take the entire thing to pieces to get to the SSD/RAM it can be a bit of a nightmare so it might be worth researching how to open the laptops - YouTube can be a good place to look at this. I once broke a HP laptop that was not designed with user access in mind, on the other hand I have changed pretty much every component possible on a ThinkPad with no real dramas.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back