Can't get past preparing automatic repair.

hamishc

May 9, 2022
I've got a pretty old laptop that has served me well but suddenly I can't get past "Preparing automatic repair". I've tried the options it gives but nothing really happens. Is there any way to fix this or should I just buy a new one. It's a HP laptop. Thanks in advance.

Solution
Thanks for your help. I have now got a USB stick and run the tool. How do I reinstall Windows on the other laptop with it.
You'll want to boot from the USB device - that is to say start from the USB rather than the built in hard disk.

In your first post you mentioned it being a HP laptop - so I would recommend trying the F9 key as soon as you power it on press it repeatedly. Sometimes it's another key on the top row.

This should give you a menu, it will either list the USB drive as an option (normally it will say the USB make and model eg Kingston Data Traveller) or it will say choose boot device, in which case, select that option first.
I've got a pretty old laptop that has served me well but suddenly I can't get past "Preparing automatic repair". I've tried the options it gives but nothing really happens. Is there any way to fix this or should I just buy a new one. It's a HP laptop. Thanks in advance.
Hey, welcome to Computer Forums!

It sounds like you might have a faulty Windows installation. If you have another PC you can create recovery media which should get the machine back up and running.

What version of Windows are you running, 10/11 or something older?

Yes I have another computer, and it is Windows 10. How do I create recovery media?
Easiest way to do this is the Windows Media Creation tool and a USB flash drive (at least 8GB, I say use 16GB to be sure as some 8GB drives don't actually have enough capacity)

Download and run the tool on another machine. It's a fairly simple process and it will take you through step by step. Depending on how fast your internet is it might take a few hours to download.

Thanks for your help. I have now got a USB stick and run the tool. How do I reinstall Windows on the other laptop with it.

You'll want to boot from the USB device - that is to say start from the USB rather than the built in hard disk.

In your first post you mentioned it being a HP laptop - so I would recommend trying the F9 key as soon as you power it on press it repeatedly. Sometimes it's another key on the top row.

This should give you a menu, it will either list the USB drive as an option (normally it will say the USB make and model eg Kingston Data Traveller) or it will say choose boot device, in which case, select that option first.

Solution
THANK YOU I went through the installation and now have a working laptop again.

Is tere any way to get the files back off it.

Glad it's working.

If you reinstalled Windows, you'll be unlikely to get any data back unfortunately if you formatted the drive.

If you chose to install windows alongside or similar, have a look under the C: Drive in This PC. There might be a Windows.old folder that may contain your old installation.

Back