I can't get MS Outlook Auto Archive to work!

AutoArchive

Apr 6, 2023
I'm hoping to use Microsoft Outlook Autoarchive as a way of managing my Outlook inbox but I can't get it to work. What I have done so far:
  • Created a .pst file on my hard drive.
    Set the autoarchive settings as follows:
    Run archive every day.
    Prompt before archive runs.
    Delete expired items - NOT CHECKED.
    Arrchive or delete old items
    Show archive folder in folder list.
    Clean out items older than 18 months.
    Move old items to (Address of my .pst file.)
    Permanently delete items - NOT CHECKED.
    Apply settings to all folders now.
    OK

When I am prompted to run the autoarchive I click "yes" but no email is moved from my inbox and no email appears in my .pst file. What am i doing wrong? I have changed the settings on the trash folder to pemanently delete email.

I'm running Windows 10 Home 64 bit and have Outlook 2010.

Hello, welcome to CF.

To be clear - the emails that are not autoarchiving, are those older or newer than 18 months?

What type of email account are you using with Outlook - an Exchange one (usually provided by an employer or a small business provider), POP3 or IMAP?

Hello, welcome to CF.

To be clear - the emails that are not autoarchiving, are those older or newer than 18 months?

What type of email account are you using with Outlook - an Exchange one (usually provided by an employer or a small business provider), POP3 or IMAP?
Hi there Root and thank you for your reply.

The emails that are not archiving will be from May 2019 to October 2022 (I think that that is about 18 month +.)

I have Outlook 2010 and an IMAP account. It's not an Exchange account.

If you try and manually run the archive which for Outlook 2010 should be under file > clean up tools, does it appear to work, start the process, or give you any kind of error message?

If you try and manually run the archive which for Outlook 2010 should be under file > clean up tools, does it appear to work, start the process, or give you any kind of error message?
Hello root and thank you for your reply. I tried using the clean up tools. The first one, called "Mailbox Cleanup" does not appear to have an option to allow the selection of a .pst archive file. It just says "the archive file on this computer" so I went no further.

The third option "archive" does allow the selection of the inbox to be cleaned and the .pst file that I have created is shown as the destination file. I set the radio buttons to "archive this folder and all its subfolders" Unfortunately, clicking OK does not result in any files being archived!

I would be tempted at this point to consider creating a new Outlook profile, the issue with this is you might need to re-download all of your emails.

A less serious step might be to create a second archive and see if this works as a troubleshooting step?

Back