• Computer Forums is where you'll find free PC help, tech support & discussion of technology.

From Windows errors to which smartphone to buy, home automation to internet connections, we're here for you.

Registration is quick, easy and entirely free, and lets you post your computer questions, receive answers from experts and fully take part in our site.

Ready to jump in? Register now

Install the operating system on SSD, NVME or HDD?

Status
Not open for further replies.

crazyinside

So I have, at last, got all the components together for a new rig. Some have been waiting for months but things are crazy at the moment

The last few pieces should be arriving this coming week so I am getting ready to build

I have the following drives-----
  • Samsung 870 QVO 2 TB SATA 2.5 Inch Internal Solid State Drive (MZ-77Q2T0)
  • WD BLACK SN750 250GB High-Performance NVMe Internal Gaming SSD
  • Seagate 8 TB IronWolf NAS 3.5 Inch Hard Drive ST8000VN004 (SATA 6 Gb/s/256 MB/7200 RPM)
I am guessing that the hard disk will be pretty slow but am I better installing Windows on the SSD or NVME drive? The other drive will mostly used for games

root

Administrator
Staff member
Hey @crazyinside, welcome to Computer Forums 👋 I think we’re all a little bit crazy inside…

It would mostly depend on your use of the computer. If it was me, I would keep Windows on the NVME drive and use it for day to day computing, e.g if you’re editing video you should have enough space to work on 1-2 projects and keep the less frequently accessed stuff on the bigger, but still fast SSD.

If the primary objective is gaming, I’d keep Windows and maybe 1-2 games on the primary drive, and any games you still play but play less frequently on the second SSD. This would also be a good destination for anything massive like the new version of MS Flight Simulator if that’s your sort of thing.

Your mechanical hard disk will be a lot slower but makes up a major proportion of the storage of your new system. I would advise using this for creating a 2nd backup copy of data, and storing any large files such as movie downloads.

Last edited by a moderator:

crazyinside

So this confirms what I was thinking really but wanted a second opinion

Thanks for your help! I am pretty confident with PCs so I may swing by sometime and try and pay it forward for any other peoples questions

Status
Not open for further replies.