Install the operating system on SSD, NVME or HDD?

Status
Not open for further replies.

crazyinside

May 30, 2021
So I have, at last, got all the components together for a new rig. Some have been waiting for months but things are crazy at the moment

The last few pieces should be arriving this coming week so I am getting ready to build

I have the following drives-----
  • Samsung 870 QVO 2 TB SATA 2.5 Inch Internal Solid State Drive (MZ-77Q2T0)
  • WD BLACK SN750 250GB High-Performance NVMe Internal Gaming SSD
  • Seagate 8 TB IronWolf NAS 3.5 Inch Hard Drive ST8000VN004 (SATA 6 Gb/s/256 MB/7200 RPM)
I am guessing that the hard disk will be pretty slow but am I better installing Windows on the SSD or NVME drive? The other drive will mostly used for games

Hey @crazyinside, welcome to Computer Forums 👋 I think we’re all a little bit crazy inside…

It would mostly depend on your use of the computer. If it was me, I would keep Windows on the NVME drive and use it for day to day computing, e.g if you’re editing video you should have enough space to work on 1-2 projects and keep the less frequently accessed stuff on the bigger, but still fast SSD.

If the primary objective is gaming, I’d keep Windows and maybe 1-2 games on the primary drive, and any games you still play but play less frequently on the second SSD. This would also be a good destination for anything massive like the new version of MS Flight Simulator if that’s your sort of thing.

Your mechanical hard disk will be a lot slower but makes up a major proportion of the storage of your new system. I would advise using this for creating a 2nd backup copy of data, and storing any large files such as movie downloads.

Last edited by a moderator:
So this confirms what I was thinking really but wanted a second opinion

Thanks for your help! I am pretty confident with PCs so I may swing by sometime and try and pay it forward for any other peoples questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back