Outlook and now Emclient Email asking for password

ohdearme

Apr 3, 2023
Hello everyone,

Having got fed up with outlook driving me mad me password prompt, I have downloade emclient. I want this one now and it seems that emails are coming in but when I try to send, I get.

The authentication failed due to the following reason. An attempt to connect to your email address failed. This could be caused by temporary server unavailabiilty or incorrect settings. Do you want to check the settings?

The password for the email address brings this up What do I do please?
Yours hopefully
Desparate

Hi @ohdearme, welcome to CF

It sounds like it might be an issue with either your email provider or the password /server details you are using to connect to them rather than specifically Outlook or emclient. If you get your email from your ISP then it might be worth contacting them, if you're using a free service like Gmail or Yahoo let me know which one and I'll try and provide some further information to help solve this.

So kind of you to help, I know little of computers.

I use yahoo, for my main email address and I also have a gmail email account.

I hope I am making sense, let me know if I'm not.

Thanks

Alan

Are you getting the authentication failed message for both accounts or just one of them?
I know Gmail needs some extra settings to work with clients like Outlook, not sure for Yahoo but there's a chance that may also be similar.

These would be applied using the web interface

Gmail: Check Gmail through other email platforms - Gmail Help
You might need to enable 'less secure apps' to sign in

For Yahoo you need to generate a special 'app specific' password apparently:

It sounds like you're encountering an issue with eM Client while trying to send emails, and it's prompting you with an authentication failure message. Here are some steps you can take to troubleshoot and resolve the issue:

1. Check Email Account Settings:
    • Verify that you have entered the correct email address, username, and password in the account settings within eM Client.
  2. Confirm Server Settings:
    • Double-check the incoming and outgoing server settings (IMAP/POP and SMTP settings) for your email account. These settings are usually provided by your email service provider. Make sure they are accurate.
  3. Password Issues:
    • Ensure that you are entering the correct password for your email account. Passwords are case-sensitive, so check if the Caps Lock key is activated.
  4. Use App Password (If Required):
    • Some email providers, especially if you are using two-factor authentication (2FA), may require you to generate an "App Password" specifically for eM Client. Check your email provider's documentation on how to create and use an App Password.
  5. Server Availability:
    • Verify that your email server is not experiencing downtime or temporary unavailability. You can check the status of your email provider's servers on their official website or contact their support.
  6. Security Software/Firewall:
    • Check if your antivirus or firewall software is blocking eM Client's access to the internet. Temporarily disabling these security features can help determine if they are causing the issue.
  7. Update eM Client:
    • Ensure that you are using the latest version of eM Client. Software updates often include bug fixes and improvements that may address such issues.
  8. Clear Credential Manager (Windows):
    • If you're using Windows, there may be cached credentials causing conflicts. You can try clearing the Windows Credential Manager by searching for it in the Control Panel and removing any saved credentials related to your email.
  9. Contact Email Provider Support:
    • If the issue persists, reach out to your email provider's support for assistance. They may provide specific guidance based on their system requirements.
  10. Alternative SMTP Port:
    • Try using an alternative SMTP port (e.g., 587 instead of 25). Some ISPs block certain ports, and using an alternative may resolve the issue.
iptv

Last edited:
It sounds like you're encountering an issue with eM Client while trying to send emails, and it's prompting you with an authentication failure message. Here are some steps you can take to troubleshoot and resolve the issue:

1. Check Email Account Settings:
    • Verify that you have entered the correct email address, username, and password in the account settings within eM Client.
  2. Confirm Server Settings:
    • Double-check the incoming and outgoing server settings (IMAP/POP and SMTP settings) for your email account. These settings are usually provided by your email service provider. Make sure they are accurate.
  3. Password Issues:
    • Ensure that you are entering the correct password for your email account. Passwords are case-sensitive, so check if the Caps Lock key is activated.
  4. Use App Password (If Required):
    • Some email providers, especially if you are using two-factor authentication (2FA), may require you to generate an "App Password" specifically for eM Client. Check your email provider's documentation on how to create and use an App Password.
  5. Server Availability:
    • Verify that your email server is not experiencing downtime or temporary unavailability. You can check the status of your email provider's servers on their official website or contact their support.
  6. Security Software/Firewall:
    • Check if your antivirus or firewall software is blocking eM Client's access to the internet. Temporarily disabling these security features can help determine if they are causing the issue.
  7. Update eM Client:
    • Ensure that you are using the latest version of eM Client. Software updates often include bug fixes and improvements that may address such issues.
  8. Clear Credential Manager (Windows):
    • If you're using Windows, there may be cached credentials causing conflicts. You can try clearing the Windows Credential Manager by searching for it in the Control Panel and removing any saved credentials related to your email.
  9. Contact Email Provider Support:
    • If the issue persists, reach out to your email provider's support for assistance. They may provide specific guidance based on their system requirements.
  10. Alternative SMTP Port:
    • Try using an alternative SMTP port (e.g., 587 instead of 25). Some ISPs block certain ports, and using an alternative may resolve the issue.
Hi Alan,

Here are some troubleshooting steps you can try to resolve the authentication issue with eM Client:

1. Double-check your email account settings in eM Client, including the email address, username, and password.
2. Verify the incoming and outgoing server settings (IMAP/POP and SMTP settings) for your Yahoo and Gmail accounts. Make sure they are correct.
3. If you're using Gmail, make sure you have enabled "less secure apps" in your Gmail account settings.
4. For Yahoo, you may need to generate an app-specific password and use that instead of your regular Yahoo password. Follow the instructions provided by Yahoo to generate the app-specific password.
5. Ensure that you are entering the correct password for your email accounts and check if the Caps Lock key is activated.
6. Check if the email servers for Yahoo and Gmail are temporarily unavailable or experiencing downtime. You can visit their websites or contact their support for more information.
7. Temporarily disable any antivirus or firewall software to check if they are blocking eM Client's internet access.
8. Make sure you are using the latest version of eM Client, as updates often include bug fixes and improvements.
9. If you are using Windows, try clearing the Windows Credential Manager to remove any cached credentials related to your email accounts.
10. If none of the above steps work, consider reaching out to the support teams of Yahoo and Gmail for further assistance.
11. As a last resort, you can also try using an alternative SMTP port (e.g., 587 instead of 25) to see if that resolves the issue.

I hope one of these steps helps resolve the authentication problem. Let us know if you need further assistance.

Back