Setting up home network

suertramp

Jan 3, 2023
Hey all, trying to get my home pc's on same network for file sharing, 3 hardwired and 2 + 1 i-pad wireless, i thought i had all settings set-up but missed something, any help would be great! thanks

Filesharing / home networking is particularly tricky I'm afraid. Personally I don't bother with it these days and just use Onedrive to sync everything as it's far less difficult.

In my opinion the stuff that's built into Windows just isn't reliable - I've seen setups like this in my line of work and they forever need someone to tinker to keep stuff working.
You may struggle to get the iPads talking directly to Windows as well - off the top of my head I can't think of a way to browse files shared by a Windows computer on an iPad.

For the Windows machines at least, the key to it working on modern versions is having them all have the same workgroup name, the same edition of Windows, and the same Microsoft accounts on each if you're using this.

The most reliable solution would be to use some sort of NAS setup, though that involves either buying some new hardware or setting up something like Unraid or FreeNAS, but you will need a computer you can dedicate to this purpose.

it seems that not so long ago i had no issues sharing the users public folder on all my pc's, as well as seeing all pc's on network, did something change? set-up all sharing settings as i have always done with no results, hmmm! goin ta check my set-up to be sure.

it seems that not so long ago i had no issues sharing the users public folder on all my pc's, as well as seeing all pc's on network, did something change? set-up all sharing settings as i have always done with no results, hmmm! goin ta check my set-up to be sure.
I think it worked a lot better in my experience prior to Windows 10 coming out.

One thing that might be worth checking is that you have Network Discovery turned on all the machines you want to do file sharing on as it's turned off by default:

From Microsoft:
If you open File Explorer, go to Network, and see an error message ("Network discovery is turned off…."), you'll need to turn on network discovery to see devices on the network that are sharing files. To turn it on, select the Network discovery is turned off banner, then select Turn on network discovery and file sharing.

Turning on network discovery in File Explorer

hey all, checked settings on my pc's and found they were not all on the private network, whopps, hehe!, all good now seeing and sharing on all pc,s, thanks for the help!

That'll do it... I wish Windows was a bit more smart about identifying what network type you're on. It used to ask you when you connected but not anymore.

Back