• Computer Forums is where you'll find free PC help, tech support & discussion of technology.

From Windows errors to which smartphone to buy, home automation to internet connections, we're here for you.

Registration is quick, easy and entirely free, and lets you post your computer questions, receive answers from experts and fully take part in our site.

Ready to jump in? Register now

Should I install windows 11

root

Administrator
Staff member
Hello @FirePhoenix - welcome to Computer Forums! 👋

The answer to your question is subjective.

Are you happy for Microsoft to get a lot of access to your system data / telemetry and potentially personal files, likely have to reinstall Windows from scratch at least once and face system crashes / stability issues in exchange for being one of the first to use the new OS? In which case absolutely go ahead.

This isn’t written to be scary by the way - just to paint a picture of what is currently early beta software.

Personally for me I am not bothering yet. But in the future I will probably give 11 a spin on one of my machines that I don’t use too frequently. Even after it’s released I will wait until a few major updates before I take the plunge but I have been bitten by new version of Windows many times in the past…

strollin

I have machines running Win 11 and machines running Win 10. Windows 11 isn’t substantially different than Win 10, IMO. Differences are mostly cosmetic.

I haven’t jumped to upgrade any machines to 11 but wouldn’t hold back either.

root

Administrator
Staff member
Surprisingly I encountered much fewer bugs with Win 11 than with 10.
That's pretty interesting, I myself haven't yet made the jump more than trying an early version out quite a while ago now. I'm still quite adverse to every other version of Windows being poor.

Does it feel any faster in day-to-day use? What sort of hardware are you running it on?

Sanposan

That's pretty interesting, I myself haven't yet made the jump more than trying an early version out quite a while ago now. I'm still quite adverse to every other version of Windows being poor.

Does it feel any faster in day-to-day use? What sort of hardware are you running it on?
Well, I still haven't tried it out on my personal modern PC but it runs on my old laptop pretty much as Windows 10 did, so I should get it for the desktop as well, I guess. I get used to the interface really quick and it hasn't broken after four months of use, so I think I should stick with it.
I think I would stay on Win 10 longer if not for the bugs - sadly, even with the latest updates there are many inconsistencies and minor bugs that I grew tired of and that appear for years even after reinstall.

root

Administrator
Staff member
I installed window 11 but it makes the performance slow..
It's interesting that it's slowed down your machine, I've got 11 on my laptop that must be getting on for 8 years old now and find the performance pretty much the same as 10