Stuck At The Windows 10 Preparing Automatic Repair

So, the installation is over and everything is running perfectly. I cannot thank you enough for all your help and support!

I was optimistic too early. It looks like a hard disk issue after all. My laptop crashed again, and now I am running chkdsk. For the last hour it has been stuck at this point. The program is running, but it doesn’t progress any further. How long do I have to wait? I am afraid that if I force-shut it, I will have to reinstall Windows again, which means maybe it’s a good idea to get a new hard disk?
View attachment 350

Update: it finished checking but did not give me any results, so I wonder if there is a way to find the error report if it is saved somewhere.

I would say it’s probably best to replace the disk at this point: I’ve had 4 or 5 hard disk failures over the years and chkdisk/ SMART reporting has never picked up the failure beforehand.

The behaviour does sound like a poorly disk. I would personally recommend a SSD replacement: they are quite inexpensive these days and will almost certainly perform a lot better too. Along with the benefit of being completely silent and not at all sensitive to the laptop being moved around while in operation.

Back