• Computer Forums is where you'll find free PC help, tech support & discussion of technology.

From Windows errors to which smartphone to buy, home automation to internet connections, we're here for you.

Registration is quick, easy and entirely free, and lets you post your computer questions, receive answers from experts and fully take part in our site.

Ready to jump in? Register now

What is a hardware router?

John

What is a hardware router? I have no idea what a hardware router is what is a router in general? What is no-IP?

Philtrum

A hardware router would be a physical box that you connect stuff to, i.e your modem and switches. For consumer level devices they normally include the wifi aspect and some even combine the modem…

No-IP is a service that lets you set your dynamic IP address to a static hostname, only really of use if you are running a server such as IP cameras or a web server from home…

Spikey

Yes a hardware router helps to receive and connect things together. I have one that connects to my modem and switches that I need a bunch of things to be hooked up to.

Last edited: