• Computer Forums is where you'll find free PC help, tech support & discussion of technology.

From Windows errors to which smartphone to buy, home automation to internet connections, we're here for you.

Registration is quick, easy and entirely free, and lets you post your computer questions, receive answers from experts and fully take part in our site.

Ready to jump in? Register now

What's your worst tech purchase?

root

Administrator
Staff member
Thought this might be a fun topic to discuss here.

What’s the worst piece of tech you ever bought?

For me probably an Acer Aspire laptop in the mid-2000s. It was my first laptop as they had finally got towards affordable territory for me.

An absolute lemon. 4 repairs in about 6 months before I insisted the retailer gave me a refund. It was literally falling apart, keys coming of the keyboard and a power button that came off in my hand…

It put me off Acer for a long time, though a Chromebook from them I bought 8 years ago is still going strong so I think they have upped their game somewhat. They also make some pretty nice monitors these days.

Philtrum

Now this is a topic! Where to start?

IBM PCJr: good on paper but a terrible replacement for my Speccy. Still feel this one to this day as it was a LOT of money back then.

Lexmark inkjet printer, unknown vintage: Couldn’t tell you the model or when exactly I had it but it was just terrible. Lasted about 2 months. You don’t see them much outside of office machines these days.

ZIP Drives: In my first IT job we went fully on board with em, at the time it was mindblowing how much storage they offered compared to a floppy but the format died as quickly as it came. Had a couple of them fail on us but not as remarkably unreliable as I remember them being reported as being at the time.

More recently a HP Stream netbook: Wanted to get a cheap Windows machine for my son, but it was almost uselessly slow.

strollin

Hands down an Apple Mac Mini! What an expensive piece of nonsense that was. I bought it after listening to all the Mac users claim that using a Mac was Nirvana. It was expensive, cost about $1000 to get it home and worked every bit as well as a $400 Windows machine. I used it for a few months but then grew tired of it so gave it to my daughter. After a month or so she begged me to get her a Windows machine.

Mac users always claim how high the resale value of Macs are. When I tried to sell my less than 1 year old Mac, all I could get was low ball offers like $200. I ended up trading it for a Windows laptop and felt I got the better end of the deal.