Wifi 6 / 6E - will you be upgrading?

root

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 28, 2019
Wifi has come along way over the years and argubly paved the way for mobile phones and laptops to become such a huge thing. I remember being tethered to a desktop where the phone line and later where the cable line (the sheer luxury of 256k broadband!) came in.

My first router was a Belkin affair that ran so hot it cooked itself about 4 times and had to be replaced under warranty. I avoid Belkin gear to this day. The unit was tiny, so no suprises as to why it overheated.

These days I do about 70% of my computing over wifi when I’m not working though I do feel things are a lot snappier to load on a hardwire.

Will you be upgrading to Wifi 6E or Wifi 6? I find 802.11ac is pretty good for performance, and I get around 300-400meg on a speed test. I can’t possibly envision needing all that bandwidth (yet) though it would be nice to get my full 1GB line speed wirelessly.

I think I’ll hold off until Wifi 6 has been around for a bit longer. Not many devices support it at the moment and I don’t want to upgrade all my hardware. Current Wifi 5 is good enough for what it is.

Wi-Fi 6E devices will be backward compatible with Wi-Fi 6 & earlier Wi-Fi standards, but in order to use the new 6GHz channels, you'll need a Wi-Fi 6E router & a Wi-Fi 6E client device (meaning computers, phones, smart home devices, and other gadgets that support Wi-Fi 6E).

Wi-Fi 6 is the latest update to the wireless networking standard. Wi-Fi 6 is based on the IEEE 802.11ax standard and will be faster, have more capacity, and improved power efficiency over its predecessor 802.11ac (now also known as Wi-Fi 5—read on to find out more!).

No upgrade here. Faster wifi wouldn't buy me anything. Sure a speedtest would improve but in oractical terms the gating factor is the website you are accessing. My current wifi is already faster than the majority of the websites I visit can deliver.

No upgrade here. Faster wifi wouldn't buy me anything. Sure a speedtest would improve but in oractical terms the gating factor is the website you are accessing. My current wifi is already faster than the majority of the websites I visit can deliver.
I think this is a fair point. I’ve long got rid of my expensive gigabit fibre that probably made about 20% of things faster and taken a basic DSL service that gets me 70meg, which is more than enough for just about everything I do online these days.

It can be frustrating when websites are cluttered with ads, junk or just poorly managed and load dog slow. I’ve put a lot of time and effort into optimising this site to perform as well as possible globally - around half of that is using minimal plugins, not doing user analytics etc.

The sheer amount of stuff that gets blocked either by my network adblocker and/or browser based blockers is crazy. I think some sites are more tracking code and ads than actual content.

Back