Windows on new Macs?

AntNYC

Feb 6, 2023
My Mac is long overdue for replacement, one feature I use is Boot Camp as I have a Windows only app that I must use for my work.
Is it possible to achieve this still on the new Macs as I don't believe they have an Intel CPU?

My Mac is long overdue for replacement, one feature I use is Boot Camp as I have a Windows only app that I must use for my work.
Is it possible to achieve this still on the new Macs as I don't believe they have an Intel CPU?
Hey @AntNYC - welcome to CF! 👋

I've looked into this and it appears your only route to getting Windows on a new Mac is Parallels:

It appears Parallels is now free but you'll need to buy a Windows 10 or 11 licence.
You'll need to run Windows 10 or 11 ARM Edition but my research tells me that 99% of existing software "should" run on this. As you're trying to use a custom application, you might need to see if you can try it out at an Apple store or similar first to ensure your app will run okay, before spending a tonne of money.

The alternative solution would be to use some sort of remote desktop service, or buying a cheap Windows laptop just for the application - you can get second hand ones that will be adequate for most needs, and you could perhaps even set up a remote connection to it.

Hey @AntNYC - welcome to CF! 👋

I've looked into this and it appears your only route to getting Windows on a new Mac is Parallels:

It appears Parallels is now free but you'll need to buy a Windows 10 or 11 licence.
You'll need to run Windows 10 or 11 ARM Edition but my research tells me that 99% of existing software "should" run on this. As you're trying to use a custom application, you might need to see if you can try it out at an Apple store or similar first to ensure your app will run okay, before spending a tonne of money.

The alternative solution would be to use some sort of remote desktop service, or buying a cheap Windows laptop just for the application - you can get second hand ones that will be adequate for most needs, and you could perhaps even set up a remote connection to it.
Okay that's great, some food for thought!

I might go with the idea of a second laptop for this app. Thanks for your help! :)

Yes, you are correct that the newer Macs no longer come with an Intel CPU and therefore, you cannot use Boot Camp to run Windows natively on the new Macs. However, there are a few alternatives that you can consider.

One option is to use virtualization software such as Parallels Desktop or VMware Fusion. These software allow you to run Windows as a virtual machine on your Mac, which means you can run your Windows-only app alongside your Mac apps without having to restart your computer.

Another option is to use cloud-based services such as Amazon WorkSpaces, Microsoft Azure, or Google Cloud Platform. These services allow you to access a Windows environment remotely from your Mac through a virtual desktop interface. This means you can run your Windows-only app from anywhere with an internet connection, without the need for local Windows installation on your Mac.

Both of these alternatives have their own pros and cons, so you should evaluate your needs and preferences before choosing one. However, both options are viable solutions for running Windows-only apps on newer Macs without Boot Camp.

Back