Laptop not connecting to a website, but OK from my smartphone!

seahermit

Feb 24, 2023
This is an odd problem, which I have not encountered before. I have been using a well-known computer-help website (name probably best left unsaid!) but lately the connection from my Dell laptop has been very slow or I can't connect at all. So far as I know, the laptop is in pretty good order, I have done some clearing of cookies etc. and I have no problem whatsoever accessing any other websites.

On my Samsung phone, the connection is almost instant.

I hope it's OK to ask here if anyone can kindly make sense of it? All the usual fears have of course crossed my mind - whether the website is trustworthy etc., whether there is some danger of downloading something dubious ..

Hi @seahermit, welcome to CF

This does sound like an odd problem - did you actually download and install something from the website or did you simply visit it?

Yes, it is odd, I don't see why just one website will not connect properly (they maintain that they are not aware of any issues).

I was having problems removing all the software for an old (broken) Epson printer from my laptop. The help website invited me to click on a link and download Revo Uninstaller - out of caution I went straight to the Revo site instead and downloaded their app. Seems to have done the job reasonably.

Could it be something to do with my browser (I use Chrome, not the MS Edge one)?

The computer-help website I am having trouble accessing has suggested I try a different browser - suggested Firefox. Well, I have been using Chrome but switched over briefly to the MS Edge browser - same result, my laptop couldn't connect to the website!

Also, whilst I was trying Edge, I searched through all the listings which came up for computer-help websites - the problematic one didn't even appear! Even though I can access it OK via my Samsung smartphone.

Sorry if it doesn't make a lot of sense, it's certainly too arcane a problem for me.

Certainly very odd. Revo Uninstaller is not known to be malicious software either.

Do you have any sort of security software on the laptop other than Windows Defender?

I checked out Revo - it does seem to be well-known.

I have only had the laptop for a few months, relied on Windows Defender so far. But probably I should at least download one of the free anti-virus or malware programs, something which searches your existing set-up etc.

Otherwise, this must surely be either a browser problem or maybe the computer-help website has it's own flaws?

I checked out Revo - it does seem to be well-known.

I have only had the laptop for a few months, relied on Windows Defender so far. But probably I should at least download one of the free anti-virus or malware programs, something which searches your existing set-up etc.

Otherwise, this must surely be either a browser problem or maybe the computer-help website has it's own flaws?
Generally speaking for most people Windows Defender tends to be the best option. If you want a few additional security issues (at the expense of paying and potentially using extra system resources) then paid AVs might be an option but I personally just use Defender.

Does the website come up with any sort of error message, at all?

No, nothing. Just the revolving symbol showing that the browser is trying to connect. Sometimes the website's home page eventually appears but then log-in just doesn't work ..

No, nothing. Just the revolving symbol showing that the browser is trying to connect. Sometimes the website's home page eventually appears but then log-in just doesn't work ..
When it loads on your phone are you able to log in OK?

More or less instantly! I have a very good middle-range Samsung which has always worked excellently.

It has been suggested to me that the DNS entry when I try to connect on the laptop has been corrupted. I can't see how and it's too arcane for me, but maybe that makes sense to someone.

More or less instantly! I have a very good middle-range Samsung which has always worked excellently.

It has been suggested to me that the DNS entry when I try to connect on the laptop has been corrupted. I can't see how and it's too arcane for me, but maybe that makes sense to someone.
It's rare, but not impossible - usually caused by a site changing its server and not properly handling the changeover. Or if you've been using a VPN it can cause issues.

To potentially clear this out:
Usually a good idea to restart your router before you start as most cache DNS entries.
1) Open command prompt from the start menu (easiest way is right click start > command prompt)
2) Type ipconfig /flushdns
3) If using Chrome or edge enter chrome://net-internals/#dns into the address bar (copy & paste). Then click clear host cache.

At this point I'd probably also reboot for good measure then try once more.

This is an odd problem, which I have not encountered before. I have been using a well-known computer-help website (name probably best left unsaid!) but lately the connection from my Dell laptop has been very slow or I can't connect at all. So far as I know, the laptop is in pretty good order, I have done some clearing of cookies etc. and I have no problem whatsoever accessing any other websites.

I hope it's OK to ask here if anyone can kindly make sense of it? All the usual fears have of course crossed my mind - whether the website is trustworthy etc., whether there is some danger of downloading something dubious ..
This seems to be an unusual issue. Did you install anything from the website, or did you merely visit it without downloading or installing anything?

This seems to be an unusual issue. Did you install anything from the website, or did you merely visit it without downloading or installing anything?
It seems that you may have missed the previous messages in the conversation. Another member named seahermit has already provided some suggestions and guidance. Please refer to their responses for further assistance.

Back