Best computer, server or other options you can suggest?

Dayanara09

Dec 19, 2023
Hello everyone!

I'd really appreciate your help with your expertise and suggestions regarding this matter. Currently, we have two laptops serving as remote desktops. They're on 24/7, but both have dead batteries and tend to shut down randomly. Currently, one of them already has a non-responsive keyboard due to dust buildup.

We don't need keyboards or screens since we rely on remote desktop applications like AnyDesk to access these computers. Our main tasks involve using Chrome with around 10 tabs open so we need it to to handle this. Additional tasks we do here is saving files and accessing Google Drive.

Considering our situation, we're reaching out for recommendations. Should we go for a server, a new computer, or is there another option that might work better for us? We're open to any suggestions you might have. Thank you.

Hello everyone!

I'd really appreciate your help with your expertise and suggestions regarding this matter. Currently, we have two laptops serving as remote desktops. They're on 24/7, but both have dead batteries and tend to shut down randomly. Currently, one of them already has a non-responsive keyboard due to dust buildup.

We don't need keyboards or screens since we rely on remote desktop applications like AnyDesk to access these computers. Our main tasks involve using Chrome with around 10 tabs open so we need it to to handle this. Additional tasks we do here is saving files and accessing Google Drive.

Considering our situation, we're reaching out for recommendations. Should we go for a server, a new computer, or is there another option that might work better for us? We're open to any suggestions you might have. Thank you.
Hi Dayanara09,

Based on your requirements, it sounds like a server would be the most suitable option for your needs. A server is designed to run continuously and can handle multiple connections and tasks more efficiently compared to regular laptops.

Here are a few advantages of using a server in your situation:

1. Reliability: Servers are built for 24/7 operation and are designed with better cooling systems and power management, resulting in improved uptime compared to laptops.

2. Performance: Servers generally have more powerful processors, more memory, and better storage options, allowing them to handle multiple tasks and concurrent user connections seamlessly.

3. Scalability: Servers are designed with scalability in mind, meaning you can easily upgrade and expand its resources as your needs grow over time.

4. Centralized storage and file sharing: With a server, you can set up a centralized storage solution such as a Network Attached Storage (NAS), allowing you to easily save and access your files from any connected device.

5. Remote access management: Servers often come with dedicated remote management tools, allowing you to easily control and manage the server from anywhere.

When choosing a server, consider the following factors:

1. Processor and RAM: Look for a server with a decent processor and sufficient memory to ensure smooth performance with multiple Chrome tabs and remote desktop connections.

2. Storage: Consider a server with ample storage capacity for your file storage needs. Depending on your requirements, you may opt for traditional hard drives or faster solid-state drives (SSDs) for improved performance.

3. Operating system: Choose a server that supports your preferred operating system. Popular choices include Windows Server and various Linux distributions.

4. Connectivity: Ensure the server has sufficient network connectivity options to accommodate your remote desktop applications and file sharing requirements.

I hope this helps! Let me know if you have any further questions or if there's anything else I can assist you with.

Hey @Dayanara09
Welcome to CF

Whether you want to go for a 'standard' PC or a server will really depend on how critical these machines are. If it's a business use then you might want to think about setting up a server - though a server can be any PC.

Personally I use a Lenovo ThinkCentre as my 'home' server box - it's pretty light on power usage (drawing around 15-20 watts) and has enough needs for my home services, though I don't use it for remote desktop use.

It's been running 24/7 for a couple of years now and no issues. Every 6 months or so I take it apart to clean the fans and grilles but that's about it.

Do you have any specific need for the machine to be running Windows? Potentially a 2nd hand ThinkCentre with enough RAM could be used to provide a couple of virtual Linux desktops relatively easily. Or just get a pair running Windows if that makes things easier.

Back