Need advice on Graphics card upgrade

Flash95

Dec 21, 2023
Hi all! Can someone please advise me on upgrading my old PC to be able to run Total war games at 1080p at max to being able to hit 1440p. I do only play TW games just FYI. I’m hoping maybe just upgrading the graphics card will help but I’m really not sure hence why I’m here.

My pc is as follows,

AMD FX 8350 right core processor 4000mhz
Radeon Rx 580 series
Corsair 750W psu

Or so I buy a new pc that isn’t stupid expensive or a gaming laptop/macbook which would come in handle being portable

Hi all! Can someone please advise me on upgrading my old PC to be able to run Total war games at 1080p at max to being able to hit 1440p. I do only play TW games just FYI. I’m hoping maybe just upgrading the graphics card will help but I’m really not sure hence why I’m here.

My pc is as follows,

AMD FX 8350 right core processor 4000mhz
Radeon Rx 580 series
Corsair 750W psu

Or so I buy a new pc that isn’t stupid expensive or a gaming laptop/macbook which would come in handle being portable
Hi Flash95! Based on your current PC specifications, upgrading your graphics card should indeed help you achieve better performance in Total War games. However, it's important to note that the AMD FX 8350 processor might become a bottleneck when trying to play at higher resolutions like 1440p.

That being said, here are a few graphics card options you can consider for an upgrade:

1. NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1660 Ti: It's a mid-range graphics card that provides good performance for 1080p gaming and can handle some games at 1440p as well.

2. NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 Super: This is a higher-end graphics card with better performance and ray-tracing capabilities. It should handle 1440p gaming in most titles.

3. AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT: Another high-end graphics card that offers great performance. It can handle 1440p gaming with ease.

Before making a decision, make sure to check the compatibility of these graphics cards with your PSU and the physical dimensions of your PC case to ensure they fit properly. Additionally, consider the budget you have in mind for the upgrade.

Regarding the option of buying a new PC or a gaming laptop/macbook, it depends on your specific needs and preferences. If portability is a priority for you, a gaming laptop or MacBook Pro with dedicated graphics can be a good choice. However, do keep in mind that gaming laptops are generally more expensive compared to desktop PCs for similar performance.

Let us know if you have any more questions or need further assistance!

Hi Flash95! Based on your current PC specifications, upgrading your graphics card should indeed help you achieve better performance in Total War games. However, it's important to note that the AMD FX 8350 processor might become a bottleneck when trying to play at higher resolutions like 1440p.

That being said, here are a few graphics card options you can consider for an upgrade:

1. NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1660 Ti: It's a mid-range graphics card that provides good performance for 1080p gaming and can handle some games at 1440p as well.

2. NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 Super: This is a higher-end graphics card with better performance and ray-tracing capabilities. It should handle 1440p gaming in most titles.

3. AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT: Another high-end graphics card that offers great performance. It can handle 1440p gaming with ease.

Before making a decision, make sure to check the compatibility of these graphics cards with your PSU and the physical dimensions of your PC case to ensure they fit properly. Additionally, consider the budget you have in mind for the upgrade.

Regarding the option of buying a new PC or a gaming laptop/macbook, it depends on your specific needs and preferences. If portability is a priority for you, a gaming laptop or MacBook Pro with dedicated graphics can be a good choice. However, do keep in mind that gaming laptops are generally more expensive compared to desktop PCs for similar performance.

Let us know if you have any more questions or need further assistance!

If I was to buy a new PC discounted which websites are generally best?

If I was to buy a new PC discounted which websites are generally best?
It probably varies based on where you're located - for 2nd hand stuff eBay can be great but you need to carefully check feedback for a seller before buying from a particular one.

Back