Boost wifi

slynightsky

Jul 5, 2022
What is the best way to boost wifi signals? I get a good signal next to my router and in adjoining rooms, but it goes dead pretty quickly moving around and devices get slow internet even on a 200 meg connection.

Solution
Hi @slynightsky - welcome to Computer Forums!

Generally speaking, even on a 200meg connection, wifi performance can be quite variable especially if you have a larger home.
The first thing I'd say is, if you're able to, would be to try and move the router to a more central location, though this may be difficult depending on where your connection comes into your house.

Otherwise there are all sorts of products out there, what works for you might unfortunately involve a bit of trial and error.
The first thing I would try in your position would be a wifi extender. It essentially copies the signal so it will only perform as well as the signal it receives and it may slow things down a bit, in exchange for a more stable connection...
Hi @slynightsky - welcome to Computer Forums!

Generally speaking, even on a 200meg connection, wifi performance can be quite variable especially if you have a larger home.
The first thing I'd say is, if you're able to, would be to try and move the router to a more central location, though this may be difficult depending on where your connection comes into your house.

Otherwise there are all sorts of products out there, what works for you might unfortunately involve a bit of trial and error.
The first thing I would try in your position would be a wifi extender. It essentially copies the signal so it will only perform as well as the signal it receives and it may slow things down a bit, in exchange for a more stable connection.

You essentially plug it in where you get still good, but perhaps not the best coverage and it will create a second network with full signal strength that should reach further.
Here's an example (you might need to find one more locally if its not the right socket)

Solution
Okay thanks, so basically buy a booster and that should help. Im not sure the router can be moved as its next to where the internet comes in.
Not so worried about it slowing down as long as the internet works throughout so will give an extender a try.

Back