• Computer Forums is where you'll find free PC help, tech support & discussion of technology.

From Windows errors to which smartphone to buy, home automation to internet connections, we're here for you.

Registration is quick, easy and entirely free, and lets you post your computer questions, receive answers from experts and fully take part in our site.

Ready to jump in? Register now

Dell laptop external monitor not working on docking station.

Shaz

I have contacted my IT department for this but they are at a loss. I consider myself pretty comfortable with PCs and have built a few myself etc but I don't know the answer to this one, so thought I'd reach out to the internet nerds and see if anyone has come across this:
My work laptop is a Dell, which I use on a docking station both at home and in the office (I am a hybrid worker)

It works perfectly, except with any external monitor. I have tried it on about 10 different docks all with the same error.
My IT dept have had a thorough look and come up empty. They have tried reimaging the laptop and running Dell diagnostics but all comes up fine.
The Windows monitor settings are correct, and I can plug a monitor into the laptop's HDMI port without issues. That's what IT told me to do as a workaround as they don't have the budget to replace my laptop unless it was properly broken, and yes it's not difficult to do but I don't really fancy doing this until after summer which is when I'm told I can get a replacement.

Any help appreciated!

root

Administrator
Staff member
Hey @Shaz - welcome to CF.

It sounds like there might be a hardware issue with the laptop itself - possibly the motherboard or the dock interface. Is this a USB-C / thunderbolt type dock or the older style where you push the laptop onto the dock?