• Computer Forums is where you'll find free PC help, tech support & discussion of technology.

From Windows errors to which smartphone to buy, home automation to internet connections, we're here for you.

Registration is quick, easy and entirely free, and lets you post your computer questions, receive answers from experts and fully take part in our site.

Ready to jump in? Register now

Do I need a firewall

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thresher

SO one thing I have always used is Zonealarm Firewall. It is nearly time to do the annual renewal on zone alarm but my son has said that I shouldnt really need this.Just wanted to get some opinions. Thanks.

root

Administrator
Staff member
Hello @Thresher - welcome to Computer Forums 👋 Hope you stick around.

I would say the answer to this question would be - no. Windows includes a pretty decent firewall, and most routers will also provide a second firewall. Unless you’re at great risk of hacking or similar, Windows Firewall should be good enough.

With that said if you are using an old fashioned setup without a router between your modem and PC it might be worth considering.

I will be honest it has been years since I even heard Zonealarm mentioned. Think I last used it in the Windows 98 days when standard practice was to wire your PC directly to the internet.

Last edited by a moderator:

Thresher

Thanks thats real helpful, yes I have a router. So I will skip the renewal and save the cash i think. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.