Emails not getting through

Stationmaster

Jan 1, 2022
Can anyone out there advise please?

I have a gmail address. A family member has a BTinternet address. She can send me emails and I can receive them, but she doesn't receive any I send to her. Nor does she receive them if I use two different email addresses linked to my gmail account.

If I send emails to her husband, who has a gmail account, there is no problem!

There has to be something wrong with her filters, doesn't there? But she's had her account checked by IT people and they can find nothing wrong. I would simply advise her to switch to a generic system like gmail but that's a big deal for her for various reasons.

Can anyone out there advise please?

I have a gmail address. A family member has a BTinternet address. She can send me emails and I can receive them, but she doesn't receive any I send to her. Nor does she receive them if I use two different email addresses linked to my gmail account.

If I send emails to her husband, who has a gmail account, there is no problem!

There has to be something wrong with her filters, doesn't there? But she's had her account checked by IT people and they can find nothing wrong. I would simply advise her to switch to a generic system like gmail but that's a big deal for her for various reasons.
{
"error": "It seems there might be an issue with your family member's BTinternet email account specifically when receiving emails from your Gmail account. Have you checked if your emails are not being marked as spam or filtered into a different folder by her email provider's settings?"
}

Having worked previously for BT Retail (aka the consumer ISP arm) in a previous life....

Sadly I don't think there would be an easy fix. BT advisors get given a minimum of training on their email systems, and these days none of the ISPs want to provide email as it's expensive to run and time consuming to troubleshoot issues - there used to be a time where your typical ISP would provide email, newsgroups and even some webspace but no longer.

BT have gone through various iterations of who provides email - during my time it was Yahoo which introduces another layer of complexity.

Only thing I can think to try would be to create a seperate email account to contact your friend, ideally something separate from Gmail (perhaps Yahoo email).

It's not a great option but it's all I can think of. I've not used ISP provided email for 20+ years at this point since I was with Eurobell (that became Telewest... then Telewest NTL... then Virgin Media) and generally speaking it's probably a good idea for your friend to at least consider moving away no matter how tricky. It's easy enough to set up email forwarders and changing address can help cut down on spam and unwanted newsletters but I appreciate not everyone wants to do this.

Back