• Computer Forums is where you'll find free PC help, tech support & discussion of technology.

From Windows errors to which smartphone to buy, home automation to internet connections, we're here for you.

Registration is quick, easy and entirely free, and lets you post your computer questions, receive answers from experts and fully take part in our site.

Ready to jump in? Register now

My essential software list

root

Administrator
Staff member
Thought I would suggest what I consider my essential software list - stuff that I install on every Windows machine I have after doing any reinstallation.

Firefox - I’'ve been using Firefox since around 2017, after switching to Chrome in around 2008/2009. I have now ‘degoogled’ my life and the modern Firefox browser both performs well and is excellent for privacy.

Bitwarden - a free password maanger, open source and works really well. You can even host your data on your own server for the ultimate in privacy - I may post a tutorial on this at some point, let me know if you might be interested.

Bitbleach - An open source alternative to CCleaner which I used to use and recommend until the started bundling software/malware.

Libreoffice - Microsoft Office is of course the ‘gold standard’ but I have acess to this via my work PC. For my own home use I stopped subscribing to Office 365 a while ago and find Libre is good enough for basic letter writing and spreadsheets.

ShutUp10 - a ‘tweaking utility’ that does a good job of neutering some of the more privacy-questionable features of Windows 10.

AdGuard Home - I hate internet ads in general and while I understand websites cost money to run (this one certainly does) I feel that the argument has been lost since internet ads got so bloody obnoxious. Ublock does a good job in Firefox but by running all DNS queries through AdGuard Home it means mobile apps can’t get around the filter and makes using my phone at home a lot more of a pleasant experience.

It’s a bit tricky to set up but well worth it and in my opinion a better piece of software than Pihole.

What software do you put on every machine you have?