PC slows down after a while

ssilat2009

Dec 4, 2023
Specs;
16GB RAM 3200 DDR4
AMD Ryzen 5
NVIDIA 2080
512GB SSD

My PC has been great for ages but recently when I start playing games after about 20 mins it slows down to the point where stuff in unplayable. Doesn't happen when doing other stuff like web browsing, sometimes youtube stutters but that's probably my internet.

Is it worth resetting windows to see if it fixes this?

Happens on any game. I have checked drivers and they are all up to date.

Specs;
16GB RAM 3200 DDR4
AMD Ryzen 5
NVIDIA 2080
512GB SSD

My PC has been great for ages but recently when I start playing games after about 20 mins it slows down to the point where stuff in unplayable. Doesn't happen when doing other stuff like web browsing, sometimes youtube stutters but that's probably my internet.

Is it worth resetting windows to see if it fixes this?

Happens on any game. I have checked drivers and they are all up to date.
Resetting Windows can be a good troubleshooting step to resolve software-related issues. However, before taking that step, there are a few things you can try:

1. Check for overheating: Make sure your PC is not overheating while gaming. Monitor the temperatures of your CPU and GPU using software like MSI Afterburner or HWMonitor. If temperatures are too high, consider cleaning dust from your PC's fans and heatsinks or adding additional cooling.

2. Update BIOS: Check if there are any BIOS updates available for your motherboard. Sometimes BIOS updates can improve system stability and performance.

3. Test your hardware: Run a stress test on your CPU and GPU to ensure they are functioning correctly. Software like Prime95 and FurMark can be used for this purpose.

4. Check for background processes: While gaming, ensure that there are no unnecessary background processes consuming system resources. Check the Task Manager and close any applications that you don't need while gaming.

If none of these steps resolve the issue, you can consider resetting Windows as a last resort. But remember to back up important files before proceeding.

I see nothing wrong with this configuration like what you're experiencing. You may want to check the temperature, hard drive, viruses, etc.

Back