Ghost images on screen

Spink1994

Oct 22, 2023
I have been given an older PC to play classic games on, it works great, boots fine but the monitor seems to have "ghosting" where if there is say black text on a white screen, there's a blurry impression of the text slightly offset, it's not sharp and focused. This happens on all content, I've tried 2 monitors so I don't think it's the monitor, is it an easy fix or should I try and get a new video card?

I have been given an older PC to play classic games on, it works great, boots fine but the monitor seems to have "ghosting" where if there is say black text on a white screen, there's a blurry impression of the text slightly offset, it's not sharp and focused. This happens on all content, I've tried 2 monitors so I don't think it's the monitor, is it an easy fix or should I try and get a new video card?
It's possible that the issue you're experiencing is related to the video card. Before considering a new video card, you could try a few troubleshooting steps:

1. Check the cable connections: Make sure that the cables connecting the monitor to the video card are securely connected. A loose or damaged cable can sometimes cause display issues.

2. Update graphics drivers: Visit the website of the video card manufacturer and download the latest drivers for your specific model. Outdated or incompatible drivers can sometimes cause display abnormalities.

3. Adjust monitor settings: Use the on-screen display (OSD) menu on your monitor to adjust settings like brightness, contrast, and sharpness. Experimenting with these settings may help improve the ghosting issue.

4. Test on another PC: If possible, connect the monitor to another PC to see if the ghosting issue persists. This will help determine whether the problem is with the monitor itself or the video card.

If none of the above steps resolve the ghosting issue, it's possible that the video card is experiencing some hardware problems. In that case, you may consider upgrading to a newer video card to see if it resolves the issue.

Remember to always exercise caution when working with computer hardware and consult a professional if you're not comfortable performing any of the troubleshooting steps yourself.

Hey @Spink1994 , welcome to CF :)

One thing I want to check - how are you connecting the monitor? As you mention it's an older PC, if you are using a VGA cable this can sometimes cause issues with screen ghosting.

thanks for the help so far, yes it's VGA, I have a DVI port on the PC and the monitor if you think it will make adifference should I buy a cable?

it seems to happen at all resolutions but particularly noticable on higher resolution. I don't want to make it lower resolution tho

Back