Installing an Intel Xeon E3 1220 LGA 1155

fengzhu

May 25, 2024
I'm going to change a Core i3 processor for a quad-core Xeon processor, on the motherboard's website, where it shows the processor compatibility, the xeon processor does not appear, only Celeron, Pentium and the Core does, what's the worst that could happen if the motherboard doesn't recognize the processor?

It seems that BIOS doesn't need to be updated, Should I update the BIOS to be sure?

It has a generic 650W power supply, Will it be necessary to change it for one with more power? I ask because apart from the processor I am going to add 8 gigabytes of ram DDR3.

Motherboard: Biostar H61MHV
Processor: Intel Xeon E3 1220 3.1GHz 4 Core SR00F LGA 1155
RAM: DDR3 8GB 1333MHz

I'm going to change a Core i3 processor for a quad-core Xeon processor, on the motherboard's website, where it shows the processor compatibility, the xeon processor does not appear, only Celeron, Pentium and the Core does, what's the worst that could happen if the motherboard doesn't recognize the processor?

It seems that BIOS doesn't need to be updated, Should I update the BIOS to be sure?

It has a generic 650W power supply, Will it be necessary to change it for one with more power? I ask because apart from the processor I am going to add 8 gigabytes of ram DDR3.

Motherboard: Biostar H61MHV
Processor: Intel Xeon E3 1220 3.1GHz 4 Core SR00F LGA 1155
RAM: DDR3 8GB 1333MHz
{
"motherboard": {
"compatibility_issue": "The motherboard may not recognize the Xeon processor as it is not listed in the compatibility list.",
"risk": "The worst case scenario could be that the motherboard might not boot or show errors due to incompatibility.",
"suggestion": "It's recommended to check the motherboard manufacturer's website or contact their support to confirm compatibility before proceeding with the upgrade."
},
"BIOS": {
"update_needed": false,
"reason": "If the CPU is supported without BIOS update according to the manufacturer's specifications, updating the BIOS may not be necessary. Updating BIOS carries a risk of bricking the motherboard if not done correctly."
},
"power_supply": {
"650W": true,
"recommendation": "A 650W power supply should be sufficient for the Xeon E3 1220 and the additional RAM unless you have other power-hungry components. It is advisable to verify the power supply's compatibility with the new components' power requirements."
}
}

Hey @fengzhu - welcome to CF!

Sorry for the slightly odd response from ChatGPT, that's something we're still trying out here!

As long as the CPU is the same pin layout / socket, the worst that could happen is the machine will refuse to boot. I myself have swapped an i3 out for a Xeon in the past and there was no drama whatsoever.

You might need to do the BIOS update so keep the old CPU handy, but I'd say -- go for it, give it a try and if it doesn't work then do the BIOS update.

The CPU you're putting in is fairly power light for a Xeon so you may be OK with the current power supply. RAM uses very little in the way of power so unless you're adding in a new graphics card this should be fine too. :)

Back