New Laptop Info

AstroGuy

Aug 22, 2023
Good Morning/Evening,

I've been weighing in on the different models of laptop computers for my Astrophotography Imaging and processing...I use Pixinsight, which requires some umps when working, lots of RAM...

I'm favoring another Lenovo with 64GB RAM, 2TB SSD HD, 2560 x 1600 pixels, Nvidia G-Force, etc...Or an HP....

My question was, do all of these gaming computers with the Nvidia G-Force come with a built in GPU...? I would like to have this in there as well for more speed...

Is there another way to identify it in these Laptop descriptions? I'm not seeing GPU per say in any of the item descriptions? Is there a way to identify if a laptop has a GPU, another word for it? Or another defining word.

Also what is your opinions on an AMD processor vs an Intel...? Wondering about this as well...

Thanks for your input...!

R Bell

Hey @AstroGuy - welcome to CF.

Generally speaking - if a laptop comes with a built in GPU the manufacutrer / marketing info tends to shout about it as 'by default' laptops tend to have basic, built in graphics, so if it's not mentioned then it's unlikely the laptop will have a discreet/built in GPU with much horsepower for graphical work.

Lenovo vs HP... after owning both over the years my personal opinion would be Lenovo every time. If you can, go for a ThinkPad - solidly built machines, albiet like most things in life the build quality on the newest models isn't what it used to be.

AMD vs Intel - whatever has the most 'bang for buck' is the best deal. It can be hard to compare CPUs, I tend to go by CPU Benchmark scores:

Search the advertised CPU and get the 'score' to help compare.

Hopefully this helps somewhat - let us know what machine you end up going for!

Hey @AstroGuy - welcome to CF.

Generally speaking - if a laptop comes with a built in GPU the manufacutrer / marketing info tends to shout about it as 'by default' laptops tend to have basic, built in graphics, so if it's not mentioned then it's unlikely the laptop will have a discreet/built in GPU with much horsepower for graphical work.

Lenovo vs HP... after owning both over the years my personal opinion would be Lenovo every time. If you can, go for a ThinkPad - solidly built machines, albiet like most things in life the build quality on the newest models isn't what it used to be.

AMD vs Intel - whatever has the most 'bang for buck' is the best deal. It can be hard to compare CPUs, I tend to go by CPU Benchmark scores:

Search the advertised CPU and get the 'score' to help compare.

Hopefully this helps somewhat - let us know what machine you end up going for!
Yep, I'm using a Lenovo Thinkpad now, an older model I purchased on eBay, reconditioned which has done well for 4 years now. But is becoming too slow for this ever growing complicated astrophotography software now. I'm looking at a 3.8ghz processor with 64GB of RAM, 2TB SSD HD, Nvidia G-Force...8-10 processors within it. Ive see both AMD and Intel processors, I guess both are okay, but I'm unsure about the AMD. Not sure if I've ever used one...

I read something this morning about many of these gaming PC's having an overdrive when needed set up as default when needed. Gets much faster as the load gets heavier. They called it something else, but I am wondering if this is the GPU kicking in...??

Thank you!

Rod

Yep, I'm using a Lenovo Thinkpad now, an older model I purchased on eBay, reconditioned which has done well for 4 years now. But is becoming too slow for this ever growing complicated astrophotography software now. I'm looking at a 3.8ghz processor with 64GB of RAM, 2TB SSD HD, Nvidia G-Force...8-10 processors within it. Ive see both AMD and Intel processors, I guess both are okay, but I'm unsure about the AMD. Not sure if I've ever used one...

I read something this morning about many of these gaming PC's having an overdrive when needed set up as default when needed. Gets much faster as the load gets heavier. They called it something else, but I am wondering if this is the GPU kicking in...??

Thank you!

Rod
+1 for Thinkpads, nicely built, designed for business machines, a cut above the average consumer stuff.
You might be thinking of ''turbo'' where a CPU will run faster than its usual speed for a time, provided it doesnt get too hot. These are usually not very controllable for you as the user, the computer decides what speed to run at. Usually the GPU will only come in for apps and games that are coded to make use of it.

Back