Upgrading from Windows 8.1 to windows 10

Hi @Pinci, welcome to CF

Yup it should be possible to upgrade - there's a good guide published here:

You'll need the Windows 10 Media Creation Tool which is a little harder to find now that 11 is out but a permament link can be found at:

Any issues, let us know :)

Hi @Pinci, welcome to CF

Yup it should be possible to upgrade - there's a good guide published here:

You'll need the Windows 10 Media Creation Tool which is a little harder to find now that 11 is out but a permament link can be found at:

Any issues, let us know :)
Thanks for the solution. This is my first computer forum. I am 76 years old and I am OK with the usual things like emails MS Word some apps etc. but I do not know much about the computer programs or hardware.
I have another question for you. I read the link you provided. I am not too sure about the files that I might loose. For example, I could copy all my files on a stick just to be be sure that I will not loose them. What will happen to my apps, MacAfee anti virus, outlook etc. ? Will they be deleted or will they remain during the upgrade?
Thanks
Pinci

Thanks for the solution. This is my first computer forum. I am 76 years old and I am OK with the usual things like emails MS Word some apps etc. but I do not know much about the computer programs or hardware.
I have another question for you. I read the link you provided. I am not too sure about the files that I might loose. For example, I could copy all my files on a stick just to be be sure that I will not loose them. What will happen to my apps, MacAfee anti virus, outlook etc. ? Will they be deleted or will they remain during the upgrade?
Thanks
Pinci
It’s always worth doing a full backup of anything important, just in case.

You will likely find the apps will be removed - depending on the version they may or may not work with Windows 10 - I believe it needs to be MS Office 2013 or newer to work OK on windows 10.

As for McAfee, if you have a valid subscription it should be possible to reinstall, though it’s worth noting that Windows 10 comes with Windows Defejder, which is a pretty effective antivirus provided by Microsoft that generally is far less intrusive on the system than McAfee.

The Media Creation Tool for Windows 7 and 8.1 are now not available. If you like Windows 10, install the Media Creation Tool for it. Microsoft will end its support for Windows 10 by the end of next year.

Back