Upgrading from Windows 8.1 to windows 10

Hi @Pinci, welcome to CF

Yup it should be possible to upgrade - there's a good guide published here:

You'll need the Windows 10 Media Creation Tool which is a little harder to find now that 11 is out but a permament link can be found at:

Any issues, let us know :)

Hi @Pinci, welcome to CF

Yup it should be possible to upgrade - there's a good guide published here:

You'll need the Windows 10 Media Creation Tool which is a little harder to find now that 11 is out but a permament link can be found at:

Any issues, let us know :)
Thanks for the solution. This is my first computer forum. I am 76 years old and I am OK with the usual things like emails MS Word some apps etc. but I do not know much about the computer programs or hardware.
I have another question for you. I read the link you provided. I am not too sure about the files that I might loose. For example, I could copy all my files on a stick just to be be sure that I will not loose them. What will happen to my apps, MacAfee anti virus, outlook etc. ? Will they be deleted or will they remain during the upgrade?
Thanks
Pinci

Thanks for the solution. This is my first computer forum. I am 76 years old and I am OK with the usual things like emails MS Word some apps etc. but I do not know much about the computer programs or hardware.
I have another question for you. I read the link you provided. I am not too sure about the files that I might loose. For example, I could copy all my files on a stick just to be be sure that I will not loose them. What will happen to my apps, MacAfee anti virus, outlook etc. ? Will they be deleted or will they remain during the upgrade?
Thanks
Pinci
It’s always worth doing a full backup of anything important, just in case.

You will likely find the apps will be removed - depending on the version they may or may not work with Windows 10 - I believe it needs to be MS Office 2013 or newer to work OK on windows 10.

As for McAfee, if you have a valid subscription it should be possible to reinstall, though it’s worth noting that Windows 10 comes with Windows Defejder, which is a pretty effective antivirus provided by Microsoft that generally is far less intrusive on the system than McAfee.

Back