• Computer Forums is where you'll find free PC help, tech support & discussion of technology.

From Windows errors to which smartphone to buy, home automation to internet connections, we're here for you.

Registration is quick, easy and entirely free, and lets you post your computer questions, receive answers from experts and fully take part in our site.

Ready to jump in? Register now

Can you trust laptop from ebay

victorm

I want a new laptop and am thinking of buying used one on ebay to save the cost...are these trustworthy will they last?
how do i make sure the seller hasn't put a virus or a tracker on to get my passwords and bank details, can I check for bad software and remove it guaranteed?

root

Administrator
Staff member
Hi @victorm - welcome to CF!

This is an interesting question. I would say as someone who has bought a few eBay refurb laptops that generally, yes, they're alright.
Like anything else on eBay you'll want to check the sellers feedback first - I would suggest sticking to people who professionally refurbish and resell laptops as generally they're not going to be loading malware.

The refurbished devices more often than not are ex-corporate and have spent most of their working life sat closed on a dock so can be found in pretty good condition.
I would be far less trusting of a random private seller of a laptop.

It's always a trade off buying used stuff, especially expensive things like a laptop. If you don't feel 100% confident you're probably better off buying new for the warranty but there are absolute bargains to be had.

If you're concerned about the machine coming loaded with malware I would suggest you either completely wipe and reinstall the operating system, or even take out the hard disk and fit a new one. Some ex-corporate machines come without the disk drives so you could even save some money doing it this way.

victorm

If I buy from a seller that has lots of good feedback will it be ok then? are there any good sellers you can recommend? how do i "completely wipe and reinstall the operating system"? I've been using computers for a long time but not an expert.

root

Administrator
Staff member
I wouldn't be able to recommend any particular seller, but I would, as in general when buying on eBay, check their seller profile. Ideally I like to see a good 500+ feedbacks as a seller and no more than a handful of neturals and negatives (things don't always go right)

Ideally also they would be listed as a business seller - a company is more likely to have a vested interest in keeping a good reputation than an individual that might want to get some cash for a laptop that's past it's working life.

In terms of wiping and reinstalling - essentially if you're planning on using Windows, it's a case of using another machine to create a bootable USB. Microsoft provide a tool at Download Windows 10
If you're planning on using Windows 11 now or in the future be mindful that it requires relatively recent CPUs or a bit of a hack to get it installed, so you might want to look at the specs carefully.