CPU speed

Mars1954

Sep 8, 2023
I have a question for the more tech Savy than me ( which is a lot of you) I have a 6 year old Delll XPS Desktop the cpu is a intel 7th Generation i7 7700 3.60 GHz I have 64 GB Ram ddr4
I am thinking to upgrade to an Dell XPS with an intel 13th Generation i9 3.00GHz Cpu it has 64 GB Ram ddr5

Will there be a significant difference in speed I do professional photo editing and I am always looking to speed up my work flow

Thank you in advance

I have a question for the more tech Savy than me ( which is a lot of you) I have a 6 year old Delll XPS Desktop the cpu is a intel 7th Generation i7 7700 3.60 GHz I have 64 GB Ram ddr4
I am thinking to upgrade to an Dell XPS with an intel 13th Generation i9 3.00GHz Cpu it has 64 GB Ram ddr5

Will there be a significant difference in speed I do professional photo editing and I am always looking to speed up my work flow

Thank you in advance
Hi Mars1954,

Upgrading to a Dell XPS with an Intel 13th Generation i9 CPU and DDR5 RAM will likely result in a significant difference in speed compared to your current setup. The 13th Generation i9 CPU should offer improved performance over the 7th Generation i7, thanks to architectural advancements and higher clock speeds. Additionally, DDR5 RAM is faster than DDR4, which can also contribute to a faster system overall.

However, when it comes to professional photo editing, CPU speed alone is not the only factor to consider. The performance of other components such as your storage drive (SSD), graphics card, and software optimization can also play a role in speeding up your workflow. Therefore, it's worth checking if your current system could be improved in these areas as well.

Before making the upgrade, I would recommend researching the specific model of the Dell XPS you're considering and reading reviews or benchmarks to get a better idea of how much of a speed improvement you can expect. It's also worth considering the cost of the upgrade and whether it's the most cost-effective solution for improving your workflow.

Hi Mars1954,

Upgrading to a Dell XPS with an Intel 13th Generation i9 CPU and DDR5 RAM will likely result in a significant difference in speed compared to your current setup. The 13th Generation i9 CPU should offer improved performance over the 7th Generation i7, thanks to architectural advancements and higher clock speeds. Additionally, DDR5 RAM is faster than DDR4, which can also contribute to a faster system overall.

However, when it comes to professional photo editing, CPU speed alone is not the only factor to consider. The performance of other components such as your storage drive (SSD), graphics card, and software optimization can also play a role in speeding up your workflow. Therefore, it's worth checking if your current system could be improved in these areas as well.

Before making the upgrade, I would recommend researching the specific model of the Dell XPS you're considering and reading reviews or benchmarks to get a better idea of how much of a speed improvement you can expect. It's also worth considering the cost of the upgrade and whether it's the most cost-effective solution for improving your workflow.
Thank you for the thorough reply I really appreciate the time you took to include the many considerations that I need to look at. I have considered possibly upgrading my current system as well.

Upgrades to th CPU ,DDR 5 instead of my current DDR4 and increaasing my SSD from 1 TB to at least 2TB if not 4TTB are all under consideration either with individual upgrades or an entire New Dell XPS model such as the 8960 .

II would like to ask one question about the Graphic card I was under the impression that it comes into play more for video editng than photo editing what is you opinion on that.

Thank you

Thank you for the thorough reply I really appreciate the time you took to include the many considerations that I need to look at. I have considered possibly upgrading my current system as well.

Upgrades to th CPU ,DDR 5 instead of my current DDR4 and increaasing my SSD from 1 TB to at least 2TB if not 4TTB are all under consideration either with individual upgrades or an entire New Dell XPS model such as the 8960 .

II would like to ask one question about the Graphic card I was under the impression that it comes into play more for video editng than photo editing what is you opinion on that.

Thank you
You're welcome, Mars1954! I'm glad you found my previous response helpful.

In terms of graphics cards for photo editing, while they may not have as significant an impact as they do in video editing tasks, they can still make a difference in certain scenarios. For example, if you work with high-resolution images, use complex effects, or utilize GPU-accelerated editing software, a dedicated graphics card can help enhance performance by offloading some of the processing from the CPU.

Graphics cards can also contribute to a smoother workflow when working with multiple monitors, as they can handle the additional display outputs more efficiently. Moreover, some photo editing applications, such as Adobe Photoshop, have certain features that can leverage GPU acceleration for improved performance.

That being said, the extent of the benefit will depend on the specific software you use and its utilization of GPU resources. It's always a good idea to check the minimum and recommended system requirements of your photo editing software to get a better understanding of the recommended GPU specifications.

If you currently have a dedicated graphics card, you can assess its performance in your photo editing tasks. If you feel it's not meeting your needs, you can consider upgrading to a more powerful graphics card. However, if you have integrated graphics, you may see a more noticeable improvement in performance by adding a dedicated graphics card.

Ultimately, it's important to strike a balance between CPU, RAM, storage, and graphics card to ensure a well-rounded system that meets your specific photo editing requirements.

You're welcome, Mars1954! I'm glad you found my previous response helpful.

In terms of graphics cards for photo editing, while they may not have as significant an impact as they do in video editing tasks, they can still make a difference in certain scenarios. For example, if you work with high-resolution images, use complex effects, or utilize GPU-accelerated editing software, a dedicated graphics card can help enhance performance by offloading some of the processing from the CPU.

Graphics cards can also contribute to a smoother workflow when working with multiple monitors, as they can handle the additional display outputs more efficiently. Moreover, some photo editing applications, such as Adobe Photoshop, have certain features that can leverage GPU acceleration for improved performance.

That being said, the extent of the benefit will depend on the specific software you use and its utilization of GPU resources. It's always a good idea to check the minimum and recommended system requirements of your photo editing software to get a better understanding of the recommended GPU specifications.

If you currently have a dedicated graphics card, you can assess its performance in your photo editing tasks. If you feel it's not meeting your needs, you can consider upgrading to a more powerful graphics card. However, if you have integrated graphics, you may see a more noticeable improvement in performance by adding a dedicated graphics card.

Ultimately, it's important to strike a balance between CPU, RAM, storage, and graphics card to ensure a well-rounded system that meets your specific photo editing requirements.
Again thank you very much with your reply. The information you have provided is exactly what I needed to hear ! Thank You!

Again thank you very much with your reply. The information you have provided is exactly what I needed to hear ! Thank You!
You're welcome, Mars1954! I'm glad I could provide the information you were looking for. If you have any more questions or need further assistance, feel free to ask. Good luck with your upgrades and happy photo editing!

Hey @Mars1954 - welcome to CF.

ChatGPT has largely been on the money - a new machine will be faster, though it depends on the exact specs of your current machine, though I thought I better chime in with a human response - the robot is currently an experiment :)

One from 6 years ago will probably have a SSD based on the older tech compared to NVME drives which perform very well, and there's a bit of a boost going to DDR5 from DDR4.

The CPU will certainly be faster if you're going for a 13th gen over 7th gen, even if on paper it's the same frequency and core count.

Ultimately though if this is something you're doing professionally or even as a hobby, it stands to reason that a new machine would potentially be a good idea after 6 years. While I personally like to run hardware until it's not economical to do so, my employer refreshes my laptop every 3 years or so with good reason - as time goes on you can rely on it less and less, and there's an argument to be made that components do degrade, perhaps not noticeably at first but eventually something will fail on you, and this is more likely the older a machine is.

Let us know how you get on with your upgrade and feel free to come back with a few choices and I'd be happy to take a further look.

ChatGPT has largely been on the money - a new machine will be faster, though it depends on the exact specs of your current machine, though I thought I better chime in with a human response - the robot is currently an experiment :)

One from 6 years ago will probably have a SSD based on the older tech compared to NVME drives which perform very well, and there's a bit of a boost going to DDR5 from DDR4.

The CPU will certainly be faster if you're going for a 13th gen over 7th gen, even if on paper it's the same frequency and core count.

Ultimately though if this is something you're doing professionally or even as a hobby, it stands to reason that a new machine would potentially be a good idea after 6 years. While I personally like to run hardware until it's not economical to do so, my employer refreshes my laptop every 3 years or so with good reason - as time goes on you can rely on it less and less, and there's an argument to be made that components do degrade, perhaps not noticeably at first but eventually something will fail on you, and this is more likely the older a machine is.

Let us know how you get on with your upgrade and feel free to come back with a few choices and I'd be happy to take a further look.
Hey @root, thanks for chiming in with your human touch! It's great to have your perspective on the matter.

You bring up some excellent points about the benefits of upgrading to a new machine after 6 years. As technology advances, newer components can provide significant performance improvements, especially in areas like storage and memory. And you're absolutely right that over time, components can degrade or become less reliable, increasing the likelihood of failures.

Considering how important a smooth and efficient workflow is for professional photo editing or even as a serious hobby, investing in a new machine can be a wise decision. It ensures better performance, reduces the risk of unexpected hardware issues, and allows you to take advantage of the advancements in technology.

Mars1954, do keep us updated on your upgrade journey, and if you have any more questions or need further guidance, both ChatGPT and I are here to help. Good luck with your decision-making process!

Thank you I will do that I have a few configurations in mind and I will post links to them to you in the next few days.

The other things I didnt mention as I use two monitors to edit i do his professionally and edit around 1500 photos a month When using a single software program like lightroom my speed is not bad at all when I run two programs one on each monitor which I like to do to speed up my workflow my processing slows down considerably I would like to have the kind of speed when I am just using one at a time on both if that makes sense.

Anothter thing I have to consider is I can not upgrade to Windows 11 with my current CPU and lightroom is only going to be supported by windows 10 into 2025 so I would have to upgrade eventually anyhow.

Thank you

Here is one that I am considering

My current system Dell XPS intel 7th Generation i7 7700 3.60 GHz I have 64 GB Ram ddr4 and 1TB SSD drive and Nvidia GeForce 370 Dedicated graphic card

Back