Possible Network Problem?

dpop

Jan 29, 2024
Hi there. I'm new here - first time posting. I'm not sure where to turn with this problem, so I thought I would give this site a try. If my problem is not tailored for this site, I will understand. I have AT&T fiber for my internet. I pay for a 300 Mbps package. Frequent speed tests reveal that my speed most times exceeds this specified package rate. I am provided with an AT&T WiFi router (Model # BGW320-505) with 4 ethernet ports.

https://help.sonic.com/hc/en-us/art...text=The BGW320 is a router,-band, and 2.4GHz

I have my desktop computer plugged into Port 1 (labeled 5 Gb). I have 3 TV's connected via Cat 8 ethernet to Ports 2-4. Here's the problem: my 3 TV's have a very hard time connecting to the Paramount+ streaming app (every other app works perfectly). The TV's only connect about 10% of the time I try. I am presented with error codes on my TV's (most times they are either 6000 or 6090), and error codes on my Windows 10 laptop. I've tried rebooting my AT&T router numerous times, but that doesn't seem to help. Could my router be blocking this Paramount+ IP address?

Hi there. I'm new here - first time posting. I'm not sure where to turn with this problem, so I thought I would give this site a try. If my problem is not tailored for this site, I will understand. I have AT&T fiber for my internet. I pay for a 300 Mbps package. Frequent speed tests reveal that my speed most times exceeds this specified package rate. I am provided with an AT&T WiFi router (Model # BGW320-505) with 4 ethernet ports.

https://help.sonic.com/hc/en-us/art...text=The BGW320 is a router,-band, and 2.4GHz

I have my desktop computer plugged into Port 1 (labeled 5 Gb). I have 3 TV's connected via Cat 8 ethernet to Ports 2-4. Here's the problem: my 3 TV's have a very hard time connecting to the Paramount+ streaming app (every other app works perfectly). The TV's only connect about 10% of the time I try. I am presented with error codes on my TV's (most times they are either 6000 or 6090), and error codes on my Windows 10 laptop. I've tried rebooting my AT&T router numerous times, but that doesn't seem to help. Could my router be blocking this Paramount+ IP address?
Hi dpop! Welcome to the forum. I'll try my best to help you with your network problem.

Based on the information you've provided, it's possible that your router is blocking the IP address for the Paramount+ streaming app. To determine if this is the case, we can try a few troubleshooting steps.

1. Clear the DNS cache on your devices: Sometimes clearing the DNS cache can resolve connectivity issues. On your Windows 10 laptop, open Command Prompt as an administrator and run the following command:
```
ipconfig /flushdns
```
Restart your laptop after running this command.

2. Check the router settings: Login to your AT&T WiFi router's admin interface and check if there are any settings or filters in place that could be blocking the Paramount+ app. Refer to the user manual or AT&T's support website for instructions on how to access the settings.

3. Reset the router: If the above steps don't work, you can try resetting your router to its factory defaults. This will erase any custom settings you have made, so make sure to take note of any important configurations before proceeding. Follow the instructions in the user manual or contact AT&T support for assistance.

4. Contact AT&T support: If the issue persists after trying the above steps, it would be best to reach out to AT&T support directly. They will be able to assist you further and provide specific troubleshooting steps for your router model.

I hope this helps! Let me know if you have any further questions.

Hey @dpop, welcome to CF :)

This certainly does sound like quite an unusual problem! The fact that you've mentioned you've seen this error on both your smart TVs and your laptop does potentially point to something being blocked. I'm not too familiar with that particular streaming service not being from the US myself, but the issue could potentially be some kind of parental controls being applied to your line - is this a service you have enabled?

When I previously worked for a big ISP here in the UK its a legal requirement that parental controls/filters are enabled by default. Quite often these would cause issues on websites that have absolutely nothing to do with anything that was being deliberately filtered.

Another workaround might be to look at manually setting your DNS servers, either on your laptop and/or on your smart TVs, to see if it helps resolve the issue. Sometimes ISP provided DNS can have issues: a lot of bigger ISPs will have local caching servers for things like video on demand, and your ISPs servers might be having an issue. By setting your DNS servers manually you should hopefully hit the 'main' Paramount servers.

Have a look here to find out how to change your DNS servers on Windows 10 and see if it makes any difference, it might be worth checking in with your ISP as to whether its a known issue or if there is some sort of parental controls / filtering enabled on your line that could be causing this problem.

Let us know how you get on :)

Based on the information provided, it's unlikely that your router is specifically blocking the IP address associated with the Paramount+ streaming service. However, there could be several other factors contributing to the connectivity issues you're experiencing with the Paramount+ app on your TV.

Soltuions:
Restart Devices
Sometimes, a simple restart can resolve temporary connectivity issues. Try restarting your TV and any other devices connected to the network

Check Internet Speed
Even though your internet speed exceeds the specified package rate, fluctuations in speed can still occur. Use a reliable speed test tool to check the internet speed on your desktop computer and ensure it's stable internet and meets the requirements for streaming.

Update Firmware
Make sure your AT&T router's firmware is up to date. Sometimes, outdated firmware can cause compatibility issues with certain apps or devices. Check the manufacturer's website for any available firmware updates for your router model and follow the instructions to update it.
You can also Check from Here (https://www.att.com/device-support/article/wireless/KM1351215/ATT/ATTMC800)

Back