Upgrade router

klaus77

Jul 22, 2023
I have a Virgin hub but it’s barely able to cover the same floor it’s on. How easy is it to change and would a more powerful router makes a difference.

Hi @klaus77, welcome to CF! 👋

I'm assuming you're on Virgin Broadband in the UK - if so it is indeed fairly easy to use your own router, or at least it was when I had cable broadband.

Essentially you put their hub into 'modem mode' and plug your new router into that. As for improving wifi coverage, you probably can make some improvements by picking a decent router, but you can also often improve wifi coverage just by moving the existing one to a more central location, away from sources of interference such as TVs and things like that.

If your Virgin router is already pretty central and struggling, it might be worth looking into one of the mesh solutions that are available these days as these provide a fairly easy way to get a half decent wifi set up running.

Okay thanks. The router is in the corner of my lounge, my house has 2 storeys so I will see if there is another connection point that might be a bit closer to everyone else.
If that doesn’t work what router would you recommend.

Okay thanks. The router is in the corner of my lounge, my house has 2 storeys so I will see if there is another connection point that might be a bit closer to everyone else.
If that doesn’t work what router would you recommend.
I've had success with Asus routers - they're quite expensive but one feature I like is AiMesh. I've got my main router in one corner of my flat, and the AiMesh extender in another corner. This has completely eliminated the poor wifi I was experiencing in the bedroom (and my ISP's provided router could barely make it across the lounge so it was quickly relegated to the bin)

It might also be worth talking to Virgin as a lot of providers will now provide various extenders, potentially at no cost to you.

Let us know how you get on!

Replacing your Virgin hub with a more powerful router is straightforward. Choose a router with better coverage and modern Wi-Fi standards (e.g., 802.11ac or 802.11ax). Connect it to your internet connection, configure its settings, and position it centrally on the same floor. A powerful router can significantly improve Wi-Fi range and performance, but coverage may still be influenced by your home's layout and interference. Consider using Wi-Fi range extenders or mesh systems for larger spaces or multiple floors to create a seamless Wi-Fi network throughout your home.

Back