• Computer Forums is where you'll find free PC help, tech support & discussion of technology.

From Windows errors to which smartphone to buy, home automation to internet connections, we're here for you.

Registration is quick, easy and entirely free, and lets you post your computer questions, receive answers from experts and fully take part in our site.

Ready to jump in? Register now

Advice

Jethro_Good

Need advice. Im trying to decide between laptops…
  1. 11th gen i5, up to 4.2GHz, 4 cores, 8 GB RAM , Geforce mx350 2 GB GDDR5 and 1 TB hdd (at my max budget)
  2. 11 th gen i3,up to 4.1 GHz, 2 cores, 16 GB RAM, 512 GB ssd (within budget)
  3. AMD Ryzen 5 3500u, Up to 3.7GHz, 4 cores, 12 GB RAM, 512 GB ssd (within budget)
  4. 11th gen i5, up to 4.2GHz, 4 cores, 8 GB RAM , 1 TB hdd.(Within budget)
My thinking is that i go for the i5 with 8 GB RAM and then i can always add RAM and SSD later on?

root

Administrator
Staff member
Hello,

Welcome to Computer Forums 👋

If it was up to me I’d possibly be going for laptop #3 but certainly if you’re trying to save upfront cost you could go for #4.

If you’re looking to do any sort of gaming you would benefit from the on board video of #1, even if it’s not a massively performant card it will beat any sort of on board graphics.

I would note that any laptop that’s booting from a mechanical hard disk drive will feel a lot slower than one with a SSD. If any of them have an NVME SSD drive, the performance of these is normally absolutely stellar and would be worth going for in general.

Some are a bit easier to upgrade than others - if you have to take the entire thing to pieces to get to the SSD/RAM it can be a bit of a nightmare so it might be worth researching how to open the laptops - YouTube can be a good place to look at this. I once broke a HP laptop that was not designed with user access in mind, on the other hand I have changed pretty much every component possible on a ThinkPad with no real dramas.

Last edited by a moderator: