• Computer Forums is where you'll find free PC help, tech support & discussion of technology.

From Windows errors to which smartphone to buy, home automation to internet connections, we're here for you.

Registration is quick, easy and entirely free, and lets you post your computer questions, receive answers from experts and fully take part in our site.

Ready to jump in? Register now

Can the same PC have more than one operating system?

Roman

My laptop’s OS is Windows 8.1. This might sound weird but I still love playing some old retro games like Age of Empires 2 and Mafia and even Road Rash. The thing is, for various reasons, they don’t run the way they should on Win-8.1. Like AOE2 has color disruption on 8.1. But all those games shall run fine on Windows XP. Can I install Windows XP on my laptop and run both XP and 8.1? If that’s possible, please show me how. Thanks.

peteMete3

Yes u can install two operating system on your computer like a multi boot system. Make sure that every operating sytem is on an own disk partition. With a boot manager you can select which operating system u want to start first. Just google for “multi boot system windows” on google and u will find a lot of instructions for different operating systems (Win 8, XP, Win 10, Vista, …)

It is also possible to install the second operating system on a virtual machine on your computer.