• Computer Forums is where you'll find free PC help, tech support & discussion of technology.

From Windows errors to which smartphone to buy, home automation to internet connections, we're here for you.

Registration is quick, easy and entirely free, and lets you post your computer questions, receive answers from experts and fully take part in our site.

Ready to jump in? Register now

CMOS checksum error - Defaults loaded

Status
Not open for further replies.

jwarren

Every time we turn this computer on from being off, we get the error
“CMOS checksum error - Defaults loaded”
“Press F1 to continue, DEL to enter setup”
This PC wasn’t used for several months as it is in the managers office of a small cafe.
Is it an easy fix or will we need to replace it or get a technician? We are reluctant to contact the people that provided it as it forms part of our EPOS system and they charge a lot of money to come out which we can ill afford at the moment

Philtrum

Hello and welcome.

This sounds like the CMOS battery has died. It’s a pretty simple job to swap if this is a standard desktop PC .

Just open the cover and look for the coin cell battery on the main motherboard, and change it. Normally it is a CR2032.

You will get the error once more when you start the system and you may need to reset the clock, but after that it should be good.

Last edited:

jwarren

Thanks very much!!!
I was quite apprehensive about this as although I have a bit of software experience i’m no computer expert.
The hard bit was finding the replacement battery as you mention it was a case of taking the cover off and looking for the battery. Real easy to get out and pop a new one in.
You’ve saved a small business some money after what has been a real hard period so I cannot thank you enough!

Status
Not open for further replies.