USB Device not recognized error keeps popping up

Hazza

Jan 1, 2023
I keep getting this error coming up on my new-ish Asus Laptop
"USB Device not recognised
The last USB device you connected to this computer malfunctioned and Windows does not recognise it"

error-1.pngerror-2.png
The thing is...

I'm not plugging anything in. Just using the laptop, the only thing plugged in is the charger cable and it continues to happen when it's running on battery?

Any ideas how to fix this, nothing appears to be broken but it's quite irritating as pops over what I'm trying to do.

Cheers
Harry

Hey @Hazza

Welcome to CF

I'm just curious, do any of the USB ports on your laptop *not* work?
Do you use these at all or not really?

If you open Device Manager (right click start menu > device manager) are there any devices with question marks or warning triangles shown?

Hey @Hazza

Welcome to CF

I'm just curious, do any of the USB ports on your laptop *not* work?
Do you use these at all or not really?

If you open Device Manager (right click start menu > device manager) are there any devices with question marks or warning triangles shown?
Yes, "USB Root Hub" has the triangle

Yes, "USB Root Hub" has the triangle
One thing to try would be to reinstall the device - if you right click it, is there an option to uninstall it?

If you do this and restart it should reset the USB driver - this can sometimes fix this.

This error message usually appears when a USB device is not properly recognized by the computer's operating system. There are several possible reasons for this error, and some common solutions include:
  1. Check the USB device: Make sure the USB device is properly connected to the computer and that it is functioning correctly. Try connecting it to a different USB port or to a different computer to see if the problem is with the device itself.
  2. Update drivers: Make sure that you have the latest drivers for your USB controller and the USB device. You can check for updates in Device Manager or on the manufacturer's website.
  3. Disable and re-enable the USB controller: Open Device Manager, find the USB controller, right-click on it and select "disable" then again right-click and select "enable".
  4. Power management settings: Go to the Power Management tab in the Properties of the USB controller, and uncheck the "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power" option.
  5. Windows troubleshooter: Run the built-in Windows troubleshooter to detect and fix problems with the USB controller or USB device.
  6. Uninstall and reinstall the USB controller: Open Device Manager, find the USB controller, right-click on it and select "Uninstall device". then restart your computer and Windows will automatically install the driver for the USB controller.
If none of these solutions work, it is possible that there is a hardware problem with your USB controller or the USB ports on your computer. In this case, you may need to contact your computer manufacturer or a professional technician for further assistance.

by
vishvajit das
tech support

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi, thanks vishvajid, I followed through what you posted.

Not sure which step it was but the error hasn't appeared for the last few days.

So I am cautiously calling this one solved.

Thank you!

Back