First PC build freezes at boot.

n00builder

Sep 10, 2023
Hey peeps,

Just put together my 1st PC build. Everything works fine 'cept for when I boot up. It freezes at the Motherboard boot screen. Normally, it says press del or esc to enter setup, but it freezes right before that and doesn't continue to load. I gotta hit the reset button in order for it to get it to load past that. When it does, as soon as the windows load screen pops up, it freezes again and just sits there without the dots swirling in a circle, those don't even pop up. I can let both of those screens sit for an hour and nothing happens. I gotta hit the reset button again just to get it to the windows load screen, and it starts loading that second time. I've unplugged everything from the motherboard and plugged everything back in.

I've unplugged everything from it a second time, and then also taking out the motherboard battery and waited half an hour before reassembling. This seemed to work when I first started it up after that, nothing froze; it just started up and loaded everything fine. This morning when I turned on the PC, I had to restart it twice at both of those screens again. Anyone kno what the problem could be?

Hey @n00builder - welcome to CF.

When you say freezes at the motherboard screen - is this the motherboard's manufacturer logo? What board are you using and what components?

Is the video coming from a graphics card or are you using onboard graphics?

I would suggest disconnecting the drives and see if the PC remains stuck on the post screen. A faulty drive or drive configuration will cause a computer to get stuck in this way - I have one in the workshop right now!

Might be worth clearing the RTC RAM, and then seeing if the problem persists. Make sure to use the jumper method - this will be in the motherboard manual.

Leave the drives disconnected.

The only obvious issue I could see with the build was the size of the PSU - a 650w PSU might struggle under load. This shouldn't be the issue here.

Back