External ssd changed ext

Millturn

Jan 15, 2023
I had to unplug my external sdd yesterday, plugged it in today and the extension changed from TOSHIBA (J) to TOSHIBA EXT (M) Now I can't access files from it in other programs. Can this be fixed? Running win7.

Solution
Okay this is what I found out after the post. But first yes I can view contents in file , but the programs that access these files are looking in the wrong place and can,t find them.. Now what I discovered is the hdd I plugged in in place of the Toshiba now has the extension that the ssd had.before, and it's extension should be (o)
So it sounds like the drive/drives are OK but the letters are muddled.

You can change the drive letters yourself - some instructions here:

Note as you're on 7 right clicking the start menu won't work if I recall correctly. What you can do instead to open Disk Management, is click start > run (or...
Hi @Millturn - welcome to CF

If you open the drive by browsing to it from My Computer / This PC, are you able to view it's contents?

Okay this is what I found out after the post. But first yes I can view contents in file , but the programs that access these files are looking in the wrong place and can,t find them.. Now what I discovered is the hdd I plugged in in place of the Toshiba now has the extension that the ssd had.before, and it's extension should be (o)

Note as you're on 7 right clicking the start menu won't work if I recall correctly. What you can do instead to open Disk Management, is click start > run (or press windows key + R), then type:
diskmgmt.msc

Solution

Note as you're on 7 right clicking the start menu won't work if I recall correctly. What you can do instead to open Disk Management, is click start > run (or press windows key + R), then type:
diskmgmt.msc
Thank you very much, that got my programs working and it's a good thing to know how to do.

Glad it's working for you now! I've changed this thread to a question and marked what worked as solution to hopefully help anyone that comes across a similar problem in the future. :)

Back