Iphone 6 possible to update ios?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rayparker

Apr 19, 2021
I have an old iphone 6 that i’m finding less and less apps are ‘compatible’ with… is it possible to somehow update ios on this to be later than ios 12 as the phone still works perfectly well?

Hello, welcome to CF.

I’m afraid the only way to upgrade an old no-longer-supported phone is to give more money to Apple. I believe iPhone 6 is stuck on iOS 12 now.

The 6 was released over 6 years ago so it had a relatively good run in terms of Apple lifespans. They do seem to try and keep the older stuff going as long as possible, at least.

A quick scan of eBay shows they still attract a fairly good price for the age so that might be one option, or look out for trade in sales so at least an upgrade won’t cost as much.

Alternatively you can try and keep using it albeit with less and less apps working. It might also be a security risk to use such an old device.

Last edited:
That’s issue with both OS as they keep updating OS but removes supports from older version phone and as from all information available, unfortunately you will not get an update for your phone. Following phone will not got updates:
  • Phone 6s (2015)
  • iPhone 6s Plus (2015)
  • iPhone SE (2016)
  • iPad mini 4 (2015)
  • iPad Air 2 (2014)
  • iPad 5 (2017)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back