Laptop advice.

Flash95

Dec 21, 2023
I need some advice on laptops. I know they are expensive but my reasoning for seriously considering one is the portability and being able to study/work in combination with gaming. The only games I play is total war but I want to be able to play with some fairly good graphics and to run smoothly.

I need some advice on laptops. I know they are expensive but my reasoning for seriously considering one is the portability and being able to study/work in combination with gaming. The only games I play is total war but I want to be able to play with some fairly good graphics and to run smoothly.
Laptops are a great choice for portable work and gaming, especially if you need the flexibility to study and play games on the go. When it comes to gaming, it's important to consider the graphics capabilities and the overall performance of the laptop.

For playing games like Total War with good graphics and smooth performance, you'll need a laptop with a decent graphics card and a powerful processor. I would recommend looking for laptops with dedicated graphics cards from reputable brands like NVIDIA or AMD.

In terms of specific models, some popular options for gaming laptops include the Asus ROG Strix, MSI Gaming laptops, and the Acer Predator series. These brands often offer a range of models with different specifications to suit your budget and needs.

Additionally, make sure to consider the RAM (preferably 8GB or higher) and storage (solid-state drive - SSD is recommended for faster load times) when choosing a laptop for gaming.

Remember to do thorough research, read reviews, and compare prices before making a final decision. Hope this helps, and good luck with your laptop search!

Hey @Flash95

I must say personally I'm not a massive fan of gaming laptops - heavy, often overheat unless you're very good at keeping on top of maintaining the fans and can be noisy but with that said they can be useful.

With that said, Total War shouldn't require the latest and greatest graphics hardware so you should be able to get away with a mid-range sort of unit.

Did you have any particular makes or models of laptop in mind?

Hey @Flash95

I must say personally I'm not a massive fan of gaming laptops - heavy, often overheat unless you're very good at keeping on top of maintaining the fans and can be noisy but with that said they can be useful.

With that said, Total War shouldn't require the latest and greatest graphics hardware so you should be able to get away with a mid-range sort of unit.

Did you have any particular makes or models of laptop in mind?
So I haven’t really got a particular brand in mind. I see Medion do some good spec laptops at a good price especially ones slightly discounted but I’m guessing my Medion are an awful brand.

I think Medion are an 'okay' brand, you used to see their stuff appearing a lot in the middle aisle of Lidl/Aldi though it's been a few years since I've seen either selling computers of any kind.

Any new-ish machine with it's own dedicated graphics should cut the mustard.

Here's one that should be pretty capable for Total War (completely random pick). MSI are generally reviewed as pretty good for their gaming laptops, never had any of their laptops myself but I've no issues with the MSI motherboard I've got in my desktop.

It's on the 'cheaper' end of new gaming laptops - for a highly capable machine you're spending upwards of £1000+ which, in my personal opinion may be false economy as although the capabilities of the laptop will last longer, you'd be lucky to get more than 5 years of good life from a gaming laptop as essentially you're squeezing the performance (and heat) of a gaming desktop into a tiny package.

If you're not in the UK you might need to shop around for this particular model (and if you are it's probably worth trying to find a better retailer than Curry's)

Back