pc doesnt turn on pls help UwU

moggedlmao

Oct 3, 2023
one day i put my custom built pc (£500) on sleep for several hours and when i came back the pc would seem to turn on normally but the monitor, mouse and keyboard. After a while the pc would turn off as if it gave up. 2 months later i now have replaced the psu and case and its doing the exact same thing. Does anyone know whats going on here? some help would be much appreciated

one day i put my custom built pc (£500) on sleep for several hours and when i came back the pc would seem to turn on normally but the monitor, mouse and keyboard. After a while the pc would turn off as if it gave up. 2 months later i now have replaced the psu and case and its doing the exact same thing. Does anyone know whats going on here? some help would be much appreciated
It sounds like you've already tried replacing the PSU and case, but the issue persists. Here are a few troubleshooting steps you can try:

1. Check the connections: Make sure that all the cables and connectors inside your PC are securely plugged in. Pay special attention to the connections between the motherboard and the power supply.

2. Reset the BIOS: Sometimes, a corrupted BIOS can cause issues with power management. Try resetting the BIOS settings to default by removing the CMOS battery from the motherboard for a few minutes and then reinserting it.

3. Test the RAM: Faulty RAM can cause booting issues. Try removing all the RAM sticks and testing them one by one in different slots to see if any of them are causing the problem. If possible, try using a different set of RAM altogether.

4. Check for overheating: Excessive heat can cause your computer to shut down unexpectedly. Make sure that all fans are working properly and that there is no excessive dust buildup inside your PC. Consider monitoring your CPU and GPU temperatures to see if they are within normal range.

5. Test with a different power outlet: Sometimes, a faulty power outlet can cause power-related issues. Try plugging your PC into a different power outlet to see if that resolves the problem.

If none of the above steps help, it might be worth considering seeking professional help or contacting the manufacturer of your motherboard for further assistance.

Hey @moggedlmao

Welcome to CF 👋

I think ChatGPT may have missed a troubleshooting step that I would suggest:
Disable hybrid sleep. It sounds like your PC is getting ‘stuck’ in standby and this is usually caused by Windows.

I usually disable it on my machines and I hardly notice a difference in boot up times but I don’t get the issue anymore.

What version of Windows are you running?

Hey @moggedlmao

Welcome to CF 👋

I think ChatGPT may have missed a troubleshooting step that I would suggest:
Disable hybrid sleep. It sounds like your PC is getting ‘stuck’ in standby and this is usually caused by Windows.

I usually disable it on my machines and I hardly notice a difference in boot up times but I don’t get the issue anymore.

What version of Windows are you running?
I'm running Windows 10 which I bought off of eBay for £2

I'm running Windows 10 which I bought off of eBay for £2
It might not be a legit copy of Windows but regardless the way to fix it should be the same.

If you can't get your PC to boot at the moment, best thing to do would be to switch the power off at the wall or unplug it from your extension lead. With the power off, hold down the PCs power button for about 10 sec.

Then power back up and boot, it should work.

To stop it happening again:

Right click Start Menu > Settings > System > Power and Sleep (on the left hand side)
Then click additional power settings (right hand side)
Choose the option 'Change what the power buttons do' (left hand side)
You may need to select the blue 'Change settings that are currently unavailable'
Under Shut Down settings, UNTICK 'Turn on fast startup'
To finish, click Save settings then reboot your PC.

That should, hopefully, stop this happening - if it doesn't let us know as there will be a few more steps to try.

It might not be a legit copy of Windows but regardless the way to fix it should be the same.

If you can't get your PC to boot at the moment, best thing to do would be to switch the power off at the wall or unplug it from your extension lead. With the power off, hold down the PCs power button for about 10 sec.

Then power back up and boot, it should work.

To stop it happening again:

Right click Start Menu > Settings > System > Power and Sleep (on the left hand side)
Then click additional power settings (right hand side)
Choose the option 'Change what the power buttons do' (left hand side)
You may need to select the blue 'Change settings that are currently unavailable'
Under Shut Down settings, UNTICK 'Turn on fast startup'
To finish, click Save settings then reboot your PC.

That should, hopefully, stop this happening - if it doesn't let us know as there will be a few more steps to try.
yeah, it didnt work for me

Is the PC booting up at all at the moment? Do you get the manufacturer or motherboard logo appearing when you turn it on?

Back