• Computer Forums is where you'll find free PC help, tech support & discussion of technology.

From Windows errors to which smartphone to buy, home automation to internet connections, we're here for you.

Registration is quick, easy and entirely free, and lets you post your computer questions, receive answers from experts and fully take part in our site.

Ready to jump in? Register now

What's the best linux distro

nerdtech

Hey

I’m looking to get started with linux. I dabbled a few years ago but i want to try and learn it better and gain more skills

What is a good version of linux to get started with?

root

Administrator
Staff member
I am a big fan of Linux Mint - it works well on all sorts of computers and seems to rarely have any driver issues.

If you’re installing on an older machine consider the XFCE edition. If it’s a newer machine then the Cinnamon edition is good too.

The difference between these is the ‘desktop manager’ i.e the software that gives you your taskbar and shortcuts. Cinnamon is a little more demanding on older machines but if you’re using a fairly new machine it’s more feature packed and is the one written by the Linux Mint developers so it works well.

A

anon42955572

I’ve never used linux but I am quite curious to try it out

What would I need to get started? Is it similar to installing windows?

A

anon92292451

I think you pretty much just install it like Windows, I have done it a couple of times and its quite easy

Just make sure you backup your data and have a spare copy of windows just in case things don’t go to plan then start your computer from a USB

You can use something like Etcher to create Linux usb after downloading the one you want, most of them tell you how to install it on the downloads page

A

anon47429100

I really like Ubuntu and prefer it to linux mint it looks more modern and seems to work better with my laptop