• Computer Forums is where you'll find free PC help, tech support & discussion of technology.

From Windows errors to which smartphone to buy, home automation to internet connections, we're here for you.

Registration is quick, easy and entirely free, and lets you post your computer questions, receive answers from experts and fully take part in our site.

Ready to jump in? Register now

How to get rid of "Sign In" prompt in MS Office?

root

Administrator
Staff member
Hi @multivariable - welcome to CF 👋

What licence do you have for Office? If it’s 365 you need to be signed in; if it’s 2019 then it’s optional.

If you use windows 10 with a Microsoft account you can sign in with the same details.

multivariable

Hello! I have 2019. The problem is not with signing in. The problem is with the tab “Sign In” at the top of the document. I want it to disappear.

root

Administrator
Staff member
As mentioned do you have a Microsoft account? Even with 2019 it will prompt you to sign in, if you have a MS account signing in will just cause it to display your name there instead.

multivariable

I do have an MS account. The thing is I don’t want it to display my name. I want it the way it used to be with MS 2010-just empty. But it seems it’s no longer possible. I hate this merging of MS products and the outlook.

root

Administrator
Staff member
Sadly I think the only answer is going to be either to sign in: it is slightly less intrusive on the username to have a name displayed, or revert back to an older version of the software which might cause issues licencing wise + obviously you miss out on the later features.