• Computer Forums is where you'll find free PC help, tech support & discussion of technology.

From Windows errors to which smartphone to buy, home automation to internet connections, we're here for you.

Registration is quick, easy and entirely free, and lets you post your computer questions, receive answers from experts and fully take part in our site.

Ready to jump in? Register now

Wifi 6 - worth upgrading?

CharlesSB

Hello!

Wanted to see if anyone had any experience or thoughts on using Wifi 6 routers. I currently use the router my ISP gave me but am wondering if there's any sort of speed benefits to upgrading to a Wifi 6 router. I have a few Wifi 6 devices, mostly iPhones and a work laptop but I often find the coverage in my home a bit lacking so would like to know if changing the router would provide a simple solution.

root

Administrator
Staff member
Hi @CharlesSB and welcome.

This mostly depends on the size of your home. When you say the coverage is currently lacking do you have a large or small home?

Upgrading to wifi 6 may help somewhat but you may find coverage is still poor if you have a decently sized property, especially if you have concrete walls or other things in the way of the signal.

Often moving the router to a more central location can help things.