error on image and fix the hex

Odd

Oct 18, 2021
Hello, I have some broken jpeg image on my folders. I have scanned CHKDSK and SFC /scannow. First one is to open hex editor and the very first line is FF D8 FF, and same as they have, see here jpeg to hex. I have chosen free HxD Hex Editor.

But how can I fix the jpg ?

If the images are corrupted you would be quite lucky for it to be ‘just’ the headers sadly.

I’ve had a search online and there isn’t a particular tool I could recommend and it seems there aren’t any free software alternatives, at least for Windows.

It might be worth trying the following tool as it seems to be well supported. They have a trial, then you pay if the software appears it can get the JPGs back - at least it costs nothing to determine if they are beyond repair:

If I should buy $29.95, then there is a 50% chance that I will have full size image again, and 50% it still hasn't worked, so it's a waste of money and time. There is also freeware, but it is only with thumbnails. And thumbnails is fine.

With hex, see the video:

starts with JPEG Header: FF D8 (Magic numbers / bytes)
start with JPEG Data: FF DA
ends with: FF D9

On JPEG Header I have Camera Make and Model: HUAWEI EVA-L19 on both corrupted.jpg and fixed.jpg (on Windows is to right click the jpg, Properties and Details).

In his example, he had 2 hits on searching "FF DA", see screenshots:
(starts with 6:45)

I have 3 hits, see image:
not working.jpg
Doble clicking on the last hit.

If I understand correctly,
remove from FF D8 to last hits before FF DA, I had 9B FF DA (header on corrupted.jpg)
copy from FF D8 to last hits before FF DA, I had 9B FF DA (header on fixed.jpg)
paste from FF D8 to last hits before FF DA, I had 9B FF DA (header on corrupted.jpg)
save and open again, and not working again.

Am I missing something?

If you've followed the instructions and it's still not opening it may be damaged beyond the headers - it all comes down to exactly which part, and how much of the file has been corrupted.

Another tool I have found - Repair corrupt, unreadable, encrypted JPEG pictures online - just upload the pictures and it will do it's magic, apparently. I wouldn't trust an online site like this for any sensitive photos but for general images it might be worth an attempt.

Back